Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > have got    

have got

tommy1996
Vietnam

have got

please tell me how to use have got in yes/ no question and questiontags:

1. She’s got beautiful eyes, hasn �t/ doesn �t she?-Yes, she has/ does.

- No she hasn �t/ doesn �t

11 Dec 2017      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

She �s got beautiful eyes, hasn �t she? Yes, she has. No. she hasn �t. Yes, she has, hasn �t she? You wouldn �t use the �got � in the reply. 
I often think that �has got � is British and �does have � is American.
She has b_ eyes, doesn �t she? Yes, she does. Yuck, I don �t like that - maybe because I �m British.  

11 Dec 2017     

yanogator
United States

You �re right about the British/US thing here, Lynne, although many people in the US use "has got". In the US, it would generally be "She has beautiful eyes, doesn �t she?". Those who use "has got" would probably say, "She �s got beautiful eyes, doesn �t she?" (I know you �re cringing now, Lynne, maybe even running from your computer screaming).

Also, in the US, those who use "has got" almost always use the contracted form of has/have, except when emphasizing the situation.

They �ve got a new car. (Not "They have got a new car")
She �s got beautiful eyes.
He doesn �t have a lot of money, but he has got a gorgeous wife!  (We don �t use "has/have got" in the negative here)

Bruce 

11 Dec 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Oh Lord, pass me the smelling salts!

11 Dec 2017     

Jayho
Australia

Interesting, because here we use a mix of SAE and SBE.

A good discussion here, (Lynne, keep those smelling salts nearby )

Cheers

Jayho 

11 Dec 2017     

Tooleju
United States

Hi friends. How to do business by social network?

11 Dec 2017     

douglas
United States

Bruce hit the nail on the head. Actually, I sometimes cringe when I hear people using "has got" in many situations (why use the extra word(s), "has" is enough). It makes me feel I �m falling back into some past, slightly post-Shakespearean, era.  :)

12 Dec 2017