Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Word daffinition 2nd chance    

Word daffinition 2nd chance

maryse pey�
France

Word daffinition 2nd chance

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=54489

Hi everyone,

How can I choose a winner for the craziest daffinition with only 2 ones ???

My word TARADIDDLE is very sad, indeed ! Please let your imagination find ideas to submit to our laugh !

Hugs.

Maryse. 

13 Jan 2018      

karagozian
France

Imagine there �s no heaven, It �s easy if you try, No hell below us, Above us only sky, Imagine all the people living for today... Imagine there �s no countries, It isnt hard to do, Nothing to kill or die for, No religion too, Imagine all the people living life in peace... Imagine no possesions, I wonder if you can,

Well, I can �t !!!!

Too daffacult !!!!

I �ve been killing my imaginative brains !!!

I �ve tried and tried and tried !!!

Only for you dear Maryse.

14 Jan 2018     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

It �s a Northern English term, that you say on leaving. It �s a combination of the ubiquitous �tara � ( �bye) and �toodle-oo, be seeing you � which as you can see, is a bit long-winded. So, instead of �tara toodle-oo be seeing you � we say �taradiddle �. 

14 Jan 2018     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Taradiddle is a decoration for a tiara, usually a small whimsical addition that symbolizes a special moment in a young princsses � life, most often a jewel or birthstone. 

14 Jan 2018     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Lynne (cunliffe) is so, So, SO CLOSE!!!

However, I am astonished, that someone who has a razor-sharp intellect; who has encyclopaedic knowledge of English; and who has experience that eclipses that of every British University Professor; ... should submit an answer which is UTTER TRIPE!
... ... ... 

I must approach this topic with EXTREME CAUTION!

I have no wish to be, AGAIN, the object of censure by Members, because of my plain, unvarnished, direct way of speaking.

I am referring to RUDE WORDS!

The English wish to avoid using A RUDE WORD when describing a bodily function. So, they have a predilection for using Rhyming Words, which mean the same thing:

"Hey Diddle-Diddle ... Middle for Diddle ... Widdle ... Jimmy Riddle ... Piddle ... etc."

The word "Diddle" is also often used by children, especially children in the north of England:

"Mam, I want a diddle!"

As Lynne Cunliffe correctly points out, "Tara!" is a childish, northern corruption of "Ta-ta!" = "Bye-bye!"

So, this is a child �s fond farewell:

"TARA  DIDDLE".

The child waves goodbye to it.

I hesitate to write this in English, for fear of literary reprisals.

The approximate French translation would be:

"AU REVOIR, PIPI".

Les Douglas 

14 Jan 2018     

karagozian
France

@les au revoir pipi. You are definitely unbeatable.

14 Jan 2018     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

@ Monique, he is beatable, my dear. He just needs to step into this chair... 

14 Jan 2018     

karagozian
France

@ Lynne ...... but I chairish him!

15 Jan 2018     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

@Monique LOLLOLLOL

15 Jan 2018