Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > mask or eye mask?    

mask or eye mask?

apayala
Spain

mask or eye mask?

Hi,
what would you call in English the mask that only covers the eyes, mask or eye mask?
Thanks and regards,
Ana

13 Jan 2018      

spinney
United Kingdom

If you are talking about the kind of mask for sleeping it �s called a sleeping/eye mask. If it �s to keep somebody from seeing where they are, it �s a blindfold. 
I hope that helps. 

13 Jan 2018     

apayala
Spain

Thanks a lot, Spinney! I�m thinking about Carnival, the half mask you use to cover only your eyes, so it is a blindfold then, or do I have to add the word "mask" after it?
In Spanish we call this "antifaz".
Thanks again,
Ana

13 Jan 2018     

kohai
Latvia

If you mean the mask for a party/carnival like this one, it is called �eye mask� or simply �mask� (if I�m not mistaken).
A blindfold makes a person �blind� - it covers someone�s eyes fully:

13 Jan 2018     

apayala
Spain

oh! I see! I am talking about an "eye mask" then. Thanks a lot and have a good weekend!

13 Jan 2018     

spinney
United Kingdom

Kohai to the rescue! Have a good weekend, folks!

13 Jan 2018     

apayala
Spain

Thank you, Spinney! The same to you and thanks for your help!

13 Jan 2018     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I agree, and not many people will know this, so just fyi,  but there is also the term �domino �, with the stress on the penultimate syllable, not the first, (which is a game (dominoes)). I know this because I go to a pub called �The Pink Domino � with a picture of a lady with a beautiful domino mask. 

13 Jan 2018     

apayala
Spain

Interesting! Thanks a lot, Cunliffe! And those masks are really nice, in deed!

13 Jan 2018     

FrauSue
France

I would call the carnival mask in your picture simply a �mask � as �eye mask � to me suggests a mask for sleeping.

You can also use �Venetian mask � for elaborate masks which cover the eyes and sometimes have a kind of beak to them. 
Résultat de recherche d ´images pour "venetian mask" 

14 Jan 2018