Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Meaning    

Meaning

aydin1362
Iran

Meaning

Hi everybody!
Hope you are enjoying the life to the fullest.
Can somebody please help me with the meaning of this sentence from the book �English File Intermediate (Unit 5) �:

What sports do you associate with?

Does it mean:
Which sports do you do?
or
Which sports do you like and spend your time following the events (for example watching them on TV)?

or even both?

15 Jan 2018      

redcamarocruiser
United States

The sentence seems incomplete. It is used like the examples below.

What sports do you associate with Britain? A) football, rugby. B)aerobics, walking. C)shooting. D)running

What sports do you associate with helmet use? Most likely you picture motorcycle racers, football players and skiers wearing helmets. 

It does not mean:
Which sports do you do?
or
Which sports do you like and spend your time following the events.

15 Jan 2018     

douglas
United States

It could mean either one.
It simply means that you somehow connect yourself with the sport (whether it be participating or observing doesn �t matter).

16 Jan 2018     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Agree with redcam - I would expect to see, �Which sports are you associated with? � and that question would be to a sponsor, or a celebrity who dabbles a bit, maybe raises funds or something... Otherwise, it should simply be, �Which sports do you do/watch/like/support? � 

16 Jan 2018     

mrcase
Japan

Maybe it is incomplete. However, it could just be asking what you feel your sport is. In other words, what sporting culture, or what type of sports define you as a person?

Some sample answers:

I would say I associate with tennis. This is because I have played it since I was 8 years old and belonging to a tennis club is a big part of my social life. I have made some of my best friends through tennis. 

As a business person I feel I associate with golf. It is not just a hobby but also important for work. It also keeps me fit and to a certain extent decides my fashion.

I am a runner. Fitness is important to me. I like to push myself to see how fast or far I can go. 

To be honest, I don �t really associate with any sport. Although my family are all football fans I more associate with music. The posters on my wall, the websites I read and the clothes I wear are all connected to music. I also play guitar. 

16 Jan 2018