Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Idiom needed :)    

Idiom needed :)

spinney
United Kingdom

I just thought of something that is pretty much what Ninon 100 was looking for:
Would that cover it?

5 Feb 2018     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

"He should Make Hay while the Sun shines on the Unrighteous alike!"

Les Douglas 

5 Feb 2018     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

"He shouldn �t throw out his Toys with the Bathwater!"

Les Douglas 

5 Feb 2018     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

"More than Half of all Americans understand Fractions perfectly, and the other 75% aren �t sure either!"

Les Douglas 

5 Feb 2018     

spinney
United Kingdom

Thank you Les! I nearly choked on my cuppa when I saw "He should throw his toys out with the bathwater."
Actually, you could have a lot of fun mixing and matching idioms. 
@ Lynne: A common one with me and the Mrs is "Whatever wiggles your wongle." Sounds kind of rude and innocent all at once.  

6 Feb 2018     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I found an idiom similar to the one involving a baby: "It doesn �t matter what the kid plays with as long as he doesn �t cry."

To me, replacing the baby with an older child changes the meaning of the idiom. When a baby cries, it is a form of comunication which a parent has to respond to. When a kid cries, it can be urgent sometimes, but usually it is an expression of frustration, disappointment, tantrum, etc. which the parent can sometimes ignore as a tactic in order to get the child to develop independent coping skills.  

So, "It doesn �t matter what the kid plays with as long as he doesn �t cry." seems similar to "Children should be seen but not heard." 

Applying that to a husband entrepreneur seems to express that the wife does not condone the husband �s activities, but she also does not want to be bothered by them. 

6 Feb 2018     

< Previous   1    2