Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > For as a conjuction    

For as a conjuction

apayala
Spain

For as a conjuction

Is It acceptable or old-fashioned? What do you think? Thanks and regards Ana

19 Feb 2018      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Do you mean as a reason? As in �forgive me Lord, for I have sinned �? I would say that it is old-fashioned; I doubt if I �ve heard anyone use that in many a year. 

19 Feb 2018     

apayala
Spain

That �s It! Meaning because. Like: I was tired for I had been walking for hours. Does it sound bad then? Ana

19 Feb 2018     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I I agree with cunliffe. It sounds very old and stilted to me and one does not hear it used nowadays in conversation. https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/using-for-to-mean-because says it is OK, but I would not use it .

19 Feb 2018     

FrauSue
France

It is still used in formal English to mean �due to � or �out of � - She didn �t speak for fear of offending someone. 
As a conjunction, in nearly all situations, because, since, or as work as more idiomatic alternatives.

19 Feb 2018     

apayala
Spain

Thank you very much to all of you! You �ve been a great help! Regards, Ana

19 Feb 2018     

yanogator
United States

Yes, FrauSue, it is still fine as a preposition. I agree with all of you that it is outdated as a conjunction.

Bruce 

19 Feb 2018     

apayala
Spain

Thank you very much, Bruce!:-)

19 Feb 2018     

Moonlightmile
Argentina

HI EVERYONE!

I have a doubt... can you please tell me if both sentences are correct? and if they were correct, is there any difference in meaning?

1) It doesn �t matter how slow you go, as long as you keep going...

2) It doesn`t matter how slowLY you go...

Thanks in advance! :)

22 Feb 2018