Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > go off track    

go off track

rosanaingles
Spain

go off track

Hello!

Can you help me with this expression? Does �go off track � has the same meaning as � lose track � when you are talking about conversations?

Thanks in advance.

28 Feb 2018      

chalkovic
United States

My understanding is that in conversation, "go off track" means to get off the original topic, while "lose track" means to forget something or to forget where in the conversation you are.
Hope this helps. 

28 Feb 2018     

rosanaingles
Spain

ok, so go off track means changing the subject/topic of the conversation, doesn �t it?

28 Feb 2018     

yanogator
United States

Yes, Rosana, it means to change the subject, but not intentionally.

I don �t like talking to her because the conversation goes on fine for a while, then she goes off track and the subject could be anything after five minutes.

Bruce 

28 Feb 2018     

Zora
Canada

When you go off track, you are basically diverging from the original topic - usually because you suddenly remember something, are distracted and start talking about something related to the topic but actually has nothing to do with it. I �d say that it is similar to the Spanish phrase "perder el hilo".

Lose track  that would be similar to "perder la cuenta". If that helps?

Cheers! 

28 Feb 2018     

rosanaingles
Spain

Understood!

Thanks for your answers 

1 Mar 2018     

redcamarocruiser
United States

You can also say " get off track" for conversations that diverge from the topic. Students sometimes like to get the  conversation off track.

2 Mar 2018