Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > The right answer    

The right answer

mary-butterfly
Brazil

The right answer

Hello everyone, Can you help me? I don �t know what �s the right answer to the following questions.

The new economic order was supposed to bring rapid

growth for the industrialized nations, as emerging

capitalist countries joined a global free trade system

_____ brutal competition from the Third World and

the Soviet block has stalled the developed nations.

a) Because.

b) Instead.

c) Moreover.

d) Therefore.

e) While.

Indicate the alternative that best completes the following

sentence:

He is very mature _____.

a) spite of his age

b) despite his age

c) instead of his age

d) despite of his aging

e) in spite his age

Thanks in advance for your help. 

30 Mar 2018      

yanogator
United States

b for both of them.

Bruce 

30 Mar 2018     

phsteph
United States

Question 1-   First, there should be a period (sometimes called a �STOP") after the word "system,"  Provided that the proposed STOP  completes  the first sentence (consisting of Clause 1 + Clause 2), it �s then appropriate to introduce  the second sentence with the word "Instead."  (So, with appropriate punctuation, I agree with Bruce.)  "Instead" fits here, because Sentence 1 offers a positive, (i.e., desirable) expected result ("rapid growth"), while Sentence 2 reveals that in fact ( i.e., "instead"), we ended up with a negative (i.e., undesirable, unexpected and disappointing)  result ("has stalled").

Question 2- I disagree with Bruce. The answer is, "none of the above" because native English speakers would say "He is very mature for his age." 

31 Mar 2018     

yanogator
United States

phsteph may disagree with me, but the instructions were not to complete the sentence the way most native English speakers would. The instructions were to indicate the alternative that best completes the sentence, and that would be b, as I said. It is the only one that is grammatically correct. Also, "none of the above" is not one of the choices.

Bruce 

1 Apr 2018     

mary-butterfly
Brazil

Thanks for your help yanogator and phsteph.
Rosmari 

1 Apr 2018     

mary-butterfly
Brazil

�Thanks for your help yanogator and phsteph.
Rosmari 

1 Apr 2018