Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Choose    

Choose

tommy1996
Vietnam

Choose

Please tel me what is the best choose 1.Mary:� I�d like to congratulate you on your drawing, Tom! � A. Yes, I think so C. It�s very good. B. Thanks, it�s O.K D. It�s very nice of you to say so 2.He�s having a party in ������..of his 84th birthday. a.ceremony b. celebration c. anniversary d. memory 3.Mary:� I�d like to congratulate you on your drawing, Tom! � A. Yes, I think so B. It�s very good. C. Thanks, it�s O.K D. It�s very nice of you to say so Thanks

1 Apr 2018      

Mariya-ye
Russian Federation

Hello.
It seems to be in sentence 1 the best answer is - B  ( thanks).
In the second sentence is - b ( celebration).
The third task repeats the first one.

1 Apr 2018     

yanogator
United States

I think D is a better answer for the first one, although "Thanks, it �s OK" isn �t really wrong.

Bruce 

1 Apr 2018     

phsteph
United States

I agree with Bruce that  B is the best answer to #1. 
For #2, I don �t like any of the answers. I �d say "He’s having a party in honor of his 84th birthday."   Or alternatively, "He’s having a party in to celebrate his 84th birthday."
For #3, just add a period. "It’s very nice of you to say so. Thanks "

1 Apr 2018     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I go for B for the first one, as well. �Thanks � is the answer. Adding �it �s OK � involves Tom being modest about his work. The �it �s OK is referring to his work. 
For D to be a good answer, I think Mary would have had to make a comment on the quality of the work, rather than just congratulating him on it.... But this is getting a bit nit-picking... In speech, the tome would be important. 

2 Apr 2018     

yanogator
United States

I �m now leaning toward Lynn �s reasoning for B for the second one. However, the "It �s OK" is referring to the quality, just like comment D would be replying to a comment on the quality. For this reason, I see B and D as equally good, and equally flawed.

Bruce 

2 Apr 2018     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Yes, I agree with that, Bruce. Some of these tests people have to complete...

2 Apr 2018     

FrauSue
France

I prefer D as the politest answer to question 1. B is alright but the "It �s ok" part could suggest that Mary is commiserating with him - "I �m sorry that your drawing got lost." - "Thanks, (but) it �s ok. (Im alright, really.)" D is unambiguously the response to a compliment, which I �m assuming is what is being tested.

I also agree that this test seems forced! 

3 Apr 2018     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

On reflection, I agree that D is the best answer. 

4 Apr 2018