Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Relative clause    

Relative clause

tommy1996
Vietnam

Relative clause

Please tell me we have to uae defining or non definingvrelative clause The English people whom I met yester day are very friendly or The English people, whom I met yesterday are very friendly And Can we use "that" here? Thanks

10 Apr 2018      

FrauSue
France

You should not use commas here as your are specifying a particular subset of English people.

The English people whom I met yesterday are friendly. (I met some English people yesterday, and the people I met are friendly.)

With a pair of commas, it would suggest that yesterday you met all the English people.

The English people, who are famous for their stiff upper lip, often choose not to show much emotion. (All English people; the information in commas is just an extra piece of information but does not define the opening term in any way.) 

10 Apr 2018     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

FrauSue makes a good point about the comma. Just to add to that, using �whom � is very formal, most people would use �who � nowadays and nobody would think to correct them. By far the most natural statement here is to omit a relative clause altogether.
�The English people I met yesterday were very friendly. �  
Using �that � is OK.  

10 Apr 2018     

almaz
United Kingdom

Lynne, your shortened version actually contains what is sometimes referred to as a zero relative clause. I�m sure you meant to write �omit the relative pronoun altogether� there 

(the relative pronoun can be omitted when it�s the object of a restrictive relative clause � a zero relativizer, in other words)

Alex 

11 Apr 2018     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Yes, of course I meant omit the relative pronoun, thank you. I hadn �t actually heard of zero relativizers, so thank you for that, as well!
Edit: Nice to �see� you on the forum, Alex!

11 Apr 2018