Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > can anyone here help me with the distinction between as well as and besides?    

can anyone here help me with the distinction between as well as and besides?

space
Turkey

can anyone here help me with the distinction between as well as and besides?

21 May 2018      

yanogator
United States

"As well as" has the sense of "in addition to", and is the correct choice here.

"Besides" shows some contrast, in addition to the addition, and is usually used in negative contexts.

No one besides his mother could love a boy like him. [Here it means the same as "except"]
   I �ll give you what you ask for, and something extra besides. [You could use "as well" here, but not "as well as"]

I �m sure others will be able to add more to this.

Bruce 

21 May 2018     

space
Turkey

this question is  from a book for students who are preparing for university entrance exam.Grammatically as well as is the correct option and answer key says so.but here the problem is that "besides" as a preposition means the same as "as well as".
the student asks me why "besides" cannot be the correct answer and unfortunately I have not got a clear and persuasive answer .I

22 May 2018     

rosanaingles
Spain

Hi, you need a connector there to join �her � and �her brother �. Besides as a preposition would not make sense there as prepositions don �t link words. 
I think this could be the explanation to your students: the grammatical category, not the meaning.

22 May 2018     

yanogator
United States

As I said before, "besides" as a preposition is usually used in negative contexts, like the example I gave. That is the main reason it doesn �t work here.

Bruce 

22 May 2018     

zoemorosini
United States

Hello!

"Besides" is translated better as "not only that, but (also)"... or "apart from that."  Take a look below for examples:

1.  We can �t go to the beach today.  I �m not feeling well.  Besides (that), it �s raining.
2.   Maybe we should just go home.  It �s too late to get a good seat in the movie theater.  Besides, I need to save money  OR   I need to save money, besides.
3.   I teach two nights a week (less important) besides teaching full-time (more important) during the day. 

As you can see, "besides" introduces or modifies a secondary or less important idea or fact.  It also requires its own verb or gerund.  In your book, there is no verb between "her" and "her brother."  If I wanted to write the example sentence using "besides", it would look something like this:

"I helped her and her brother, besides, but neither one even thanked me." 

This communicates the idea that I did not have to help her brother as well as help her, but I did it anyway, which makes it extra disappointing that I received no thanks.

As well as, on the other hand, gives equal weight to both ideas, instead of giving more weight to one versus the other.  It works like a fancy version of "and".

Example:  Following the accident, I was nervous as well as confused.

I hope this helps!

Zoe Morosini
USA 

22 May 2018     

space
Turkey

thank you all. They helped a lot. have a nice day.

23 May 2018