Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Gerund or infinitive?    

Gerund or infinitive?

gharbi2009
Tunisia

Gerund or infinitive?

In certain combinations with nouns or ajectives followed  by "to" the verb-ing is used. I am wwodering if there is a practical way to know when we should use a gerund or infinitive . thanks beforehand.

15 Jun 2018      

Gi2gi
Georgia

In ALL cases when a preposition comes after a verb / noun/adjective , a gerund must be used. The problem arises when students do not realise that the � �to �� is a preposition, not an infinitive particle. The best solution, therefore, would be to provide students with the most common expressions where the to (preposition) + gerund is used .... Object to doing, look forward to doing, be used to doing, be accustomed to doing and so on�

15 Jun 2018     

Antonio Oliver
Spain

Hi Gharbi,

Good question! 

Divide and conquer, it�s the principle I use when explaining this to my students. It goes like this:

INFINITIVE WITH TO is the general rule (I want to break free I quote �they all know the song), therefore no need to study a list of verbs taking infinitive

INFINITIVE WITHOUT TO goes with modals, auxiliaries, let & make (Let it go �another well-known tune), this is easy to remember, or at least they can �play by ear� �no-one says �Can you to repeat?�, right?

GERUND is the problem. Students need to study the list of verbs taking gerund. I usually split it into 3 groups:

accept

admit

anticipate

appreciate

avoid

be afraid of

be sorry for

be used to

begin

can�t bear

can�t stand

can�t help

carry on

consider

consent to

continue

delay

deny

detest

dislike

dread

end

endure

enjoy

excuse

imagine

involve

fancy

feel like

find

finish

forget

give up

go

go on

hate

involve

loathe

look forward to

love

mention

mind

miss

object to

permit

postpone

practise

prefer

prevent

propose

quit

recall

regret

recommend

remember

resent

resist

risk

start

stop

suggest

tolerate

try

1. The LIKE family (highlighted in yellow above),which may include a few more verbs than the classic like-love-hate

2. The START-GO ON-FINISH family (highlighted in green above)

3. The rest of the verbs in the list are harder to classify but I usually ask my students to find a �common denominator�: imagine-propose-suggest are often linked around the concept of �having and sharing ideas� but what about miss, or involve? Well, tough luck -these are the ones they have to study! But then it�s not such a long list now, is it?

Obviously there are also strange verbs: perhaps the most unusual ones are those you mentioned: verbs taking to + gerund (look forward to, be used to, admit/object to) � My way round this is that these verbs really take a noun
I�m used to cold weather
I�m used to sport
but failing that they will take an ING form acting as a noun
I�m used to getting up early
I�m used to swimming

Plus, there are verbs with a different meaning when using infinitive or gerund (stop-remember-regret-forget-need-try) and verbs that can use both, with very little or no difference (start, like)� , but perhaps that is next lesson?

Hope that helped!

15 Jun 2018     

gharbi2009
Tunisia

Thanks a lot for your time and consideration.

16 Jun 2018