Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Jazz meaning    

Jazz meaning

mari_18cf
Brazil

Jazz meaning

Hey guys, can you help me understand this word I �ve seen several times in this episode? thanks in advance. 

Finn: [Finn pushes Jakes arm down] Whoa! Wait, Jake. Don �t mess this up. Think about it: if we wish everything back to normal, the Lich could just jazz it up again.

Prismo: Hey, hey! Did you guys see that? You know that was a ghost wearing a dead guy? That might be the nastiest thing I �ve ever seen. Na-na-na-na-nasty! Nasty jazz! Nast-- [Almost like beat boxing]
Jake: Oh yeah. Jazz.

Here is the episode: click 

3 Aug 2018      

lillizen
Brazil

Hello, Mari:

Accordiing to Cambridge dictionary,
to jazz up something means "to make something more interesting or more exciting". (link)

For the word �jazz � alone, Collins dictionary has the following definitions, besides the well-known music style:
(slang) rigmarole, paraphernalia
(informal) liveliness or enthusiasm

Finally, as I see you are also from Brazil, I found the definitions for �jazz � and �jazz up something � checking my favorite EN-PT dictionary online: wordreference (link). 

jazz nmainly US, informal (insincere talk) (gíria, coisas)tralha, coisa sf
troço, trem sm
bobagem sf

jazz [sth] upvtr phrasal sepinformal (make more exciting)animar vt

Hope that helps!

3 Aug 2018     

L. habach
Morocco

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/jazz

3 Aug 2018     

mari_18cf
Brazil

Hello lilizen, I got that meaning for "jazz up" to. The point is that in that context (and also netflix translation) it seems it �s the opposite!

So it confused me. 

For the noun it makes sense what you showed: stuff ...

thanks for your time. 

3 Aug 2018     

yanogator
United States

Hi, Mari,
My speakers aren �t working at the moment, so I can �t watch the episode, unfortunately. I think there is a context that we �re missing that would help with this. I �m guessing from the characters � names that this is from an episode of Adventure Time, which I �ve never seen. Because of the nature of the program, "jazz" could be a term they use with their own meaning. From the sentence, "jazz it up again" could mean "mess it up again", possibly in a particular way that only the Lich can do.

I�ve read a transcript of the episode now, and it seems pretty likely that "jazz" has a particular meaning to them. In the context of the episode, it seems to be a life condition or something, since the episode is about changing the situation around you. I�m leaning toward a meaning of "restoring the �jazz� to the situation, even if you change it to the way you would like to have it", and there is some understanding of what "jazz" means to them (that is beyond me).

Something to think about.

Bruce 

4 Aug 2018     

Jayho
Australia

It all sounds odd to me. The transcript is here: http://adventuretime.wikia.com/wiki/Finn_the_Human_(episode)/Transcript

You can find a variety of definitions here (including one that I have never ever even heard of) https://www.dictionary.com/browse/jazz

I guess that:

First mention = stuff, as in nasty stuff
Second mention = add liveliness or features
Third mention = ???  spirit? liveliness?

It �s an American  program so maybe an American NS could enlighten us.

Cheers

Jayho 

4 Aug 2018     

redcamarocruiser
United States

To me it seems that jazz may be a euphemism for the all-purpose expletive , the f- word?

4 Aug 2018     

Jayho
Australia

Your �re right redcamarocruiser. I just looked it up in the urban dictionary (and received an education at the same time).

Although they don �t mention the f word, they do mention the s __ t word (no 69), as well as cool, awesome etc (no 70). So it �s probably meaning no 70 that fits best for mention 3 in the text.

Cheers

Jayho 

4 Aug 2018     

redcamarocruiser
United States

It reminded me of the Aston Kutcher Netflix movie The Ranch, where the redneck ranchers used the f word frequently. In the movies curse words appear much more frequently than in most people�s lives.

4 Aug 2018     

douglas
United States

1. add excitement

2. stuff

3. "(that �s) cool"

6 Aug 2018