Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > True/False/Not Given    

True/False/Not Given

t.javanshir
Australia

True/False/Not Given

Hello there,

I was wondering if this IELTS question would be True/False/Not Given in your opinion. By the way, could anyone also help me with the meaning of the word "driving off of game"?

looking forward to hearing your comments.

The question: The indigenous people had been brutally killed by the European colonists.

The relevant part in the passage: Native American resistance to the Europeans was ineffective. Indigenous peoples suffered from white brutality, alcoholism, the killing and driving off of game, and the expropriation of farmland, but all these together are insufficient to explain the degree of their defeat.

12 Aug 2018      

yanogator
United States

I would say "not given"

To drive animals off means to scare them away.

Game means wild animals that are hunted for food, as opposed to farm animals that are raised for food. The Europeans scared away the animals that the indigenous peoples had hunted as their source of meat.

Bruce 

12 Aug 2018     

t.javanshir
Australia

Thanks Bruce.

Although I knew game meant animals hunted for food, I didn �t understand the reason for using "of" after "driving off"
And I agree with you regarding "not given." 

12 Aug 2018     

yanogator
United States

The "of" there is the same as in "the expropriation of farmland".

13 Aug 2018     

kwsp
United States

I agree with Bruce �s definition of "driving off of game." I looked up why of is used before game and found this explanation on the BRITISH COUNCIL WEB SITE

13 Aug 2018     

yanogator
United States

Thanks, kwsp, but I don �t think that page deals with this usage of "of". This "of" follows a gerund to form a phrase that acts as a noun.

The Europeans drove off the game.

The Europeans were responsible for driving off the game. Here "the game" is the direct object of "driving off".

The Europeans were responsible for the driving off of the game. Because of the addition of "the" before the gerund, now "of the game" modifies "the driving", so I guess that makes it an adjectival application of the prepositional phrase "of the game".

Before running the race, the horses were restless.
Before the running of the race, the horses were restless.

Dunking Oreo cookies in milk is a time-honored US tradition.
The dunking of Oreo cookies in milk is a time-honored US tradition.

Bruce 

13 Aug 2018