Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Thinking outside the box    

Thinking outside the box

Shalottslady
Belgium

Thinking outside the box

Dear colleagues,
for next school year (which starts in about 2 weeks, I want to challenge my students a bit more by making them think outside the box. They will be given one term to complete these assignments, so I expect some amazing creative thinking from them. 
The biggest problem at the moment is, that my own creative mind is leaving me somewhat alone. I do have a few already, but would be tremendously grateful for any help. I �m looking for assignments like: �record an interview with a native speaker of about 10 minutes �, �create an educational game for English that the whole class can play in 45 minutes �, �Compose your own song in English�, ... The more ideas, the better! Any links are also much appreciated. Many thanks in advance! By the way, my students are 15-16 years old and their level of English is upper-intermediate. 

20 Aug 2018      

douglas
United States

I don �t know their age or level, but here �s some ideas:

1) Write a play and present it.

2) Write a travel guide for travelers to your area that includes "unknown" places

3) Choose a specific current events type of topic (must be approved by the teacher first) and keep a journal of its progress/development over the school year then give a final report to the class on your findings.

4) Research a topic of interest only using English-language sources and present your findings to the class.

20 Aug 2018     

Shalottslady
Belgium

Thanks a lot, Douglas! They are actually all very useful! My students are in the 10th form (so 15-16 years old) and have an intermediate level of English. (I will edit my question a bit, thanks too for the hint ;) )

20 Aug 2018     

Shalottslady
Belgium

Any more suggestions? I need loads if I want to give every student a different one...
Many thanks in advance! 

20 Aug 2018     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Douglas � ideas are inspiring. Research web 2.0 technology and present the pros and cons of your favorite 4-5 applications. Demonstrate them if possible. Debate the pros and cons of Social media. Present your findings. Create build use and describe your ideal personal learning network. Document everything step by step and back up your choices with research.

20 Aug 2018     

karagozian
France

Ask them to work in pairs and build 5 minute role plays. For example one driver and one policeman using the modal must and/or mustn �t. Very funny.

Ask them to explain how to get to a certain place in the school with their hands tied in their back. This is an interesting exercercise that shows how difficult it is to speak without one �s hands and to show how important body language is.

Role plays are a real good option. Tell one �s last holidays, good or bad experience in the past to one another.

21 Aug 2018     

Shalottslady
Belgium

Dear Karagozian, I like your suggestions but am afraid they don �t really fit my purpose. I �m looking for assignments that will really take up some time to prepare and show an extremely clever way of thinking outside the box. Role plays is something I regularly do with my students and therefore not really suitable for what I �m looking for. Nevertheless, I am grateful that you took some time to reply. 

21 Aug 2018