Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Word of the day - 03.09.2018    

Word of the day - 03.09.2018

maryse pey�
France

Word of the day - 03.09.2018

Thank you again to Ascincoquinas for choosing my daffynition. Well, it was not a fair choice because I was the only participant and I DO hope you will be more than one ! Holidays are over now, aren �t they ?

The word I chose is a one for the cat lovers ! ;)

CATOPTROMANCY...

What does it inspire you ?

Give me your crazy, tender, funny daffynitions
Giver me your odd, technical or Aboriginal ideas
Give me your gold, silver or diamond brainstorming...

I will choose a winner after the loudest laugh, I swear !

Thank you for your inspired answers ! 

3 Sep 2018      

ascincoquinas
Portugal

CATOPTROMANCY

Like Maryse mentioned is a very common word used for cat lovers. 

Those who have cats surely know that this word refers mainly to male cats romantic dance when they  "OPT "choose their future partner.

Take a look:

3 Sep 2018     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hey Maryse, don �t worry! So you were the only entrant, but you did win! I was once the only candidate for a job, an ESL job, mind you... and I didn �t get it  Friends, they made a horrible mistake! 

Catoptromancy, I am sorry, this is such an obvious word, it �s hard not to give its true meaning, so here it is. It is the love of choosing a cat. I hate catoptromancers because they love the thrill of choosing the cat and they end up with umpteen cats, but they just don �t care for them properly and don �t ensure that the cats get their caviar, prawns etc..
OK, I �ll break the word down.
Cat = the most wonderful creatures on Earth, opt = choose, romancy = love of.  

3 Sep 2018     

valentinaper
Greece

Hi, everyone! So nice to see you all!

As for the word, I think it has to do with cats (of course!) and also with opt- as in optical, related to sight. The last part of the word (-mancy) has to do with witchcraft, as we know.

So I guess the term  CAT- OPTRO- MANCY refers to the magical powers that cats possess (all cats, for that matter) which enables them to make people love them as soon as they look at them!

And here is an example I �m sure you �ve seen before:

4 Sep 2018     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

CAPTOPROMANCY: Captoptromancy is the love of youth and the pursuit of youth to the detriment of the older and (in many cases) wiser members of society. 
Cap: to cap is to limit, topt means that the top limit is thirty: Romancy can mean love of but in this case means wishful thinking. (I have added a P to the word to make it fit!)LOL

Lynne
aged fifty nine and three quarters (and a bit)Tongue

7 Sep 2018