Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > in night or at night    

in night or at night

[email protected]
Sri Lanka

in night or at night

Hi,

Pls help me to correct following matter. 

Which one is the correct one. 

01- I sleep at night.
02- I sleep in the night.

Normally we are using  in the morning, in the afternoon, in the evening. but I am confused how to use it with night.  

Best Regards.
Indrajith 

21 Sep 2018      

FrauSue
France

Hi Indrajith,

In your example, I would prefer number 1. "At night" is the equivalent of "in the morning/afternoon/evening" to refer to that period of the day, usually in a general sense. You can use "in the night" to really emphasise that an event happened right in the middle of the night. 

Compare: Burglars prefer to work at night. / The burglar broke into our house in the night. 
My cat is always active at night. / My cat loves to wake me up in the night. 

21 Sep 2018     

yanogator
United States

I agree with FrauSue. Generally "at night" is used for regular/repeated things, with a meaning close to "every night", while "in the night" is more for individual incidents. FrauSue �s example of "My cat loves to wake me up in the night" is referring to single actions, even if it happens every night.

Think of "at night" as being a description of lifestyle, instinct, habit, etc.

Bruce 

21 Sep 2018     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Indrajith/desha1547:

"A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Languge", 2010, Quirk et al, Section, 934, Pages 687/688.

PREPOSITIONS of TIME, �at; on; in; by �.

"... there are only two dimension-types, viz �point of time � and �period of time �.

�At � is used for points of time (chiefly clock-time [1]) and also, idiomatically, for holiday periods [2].

[1]   at ten oclock; at 6.30 p.m.; at noon.
      [2]   at the weekend; at Christmas; at Easter.

The reference is to the season of Christmas/Easter, not to the day itself.

�At � can be used for periods when conceived of as points of time, as in

at the time; at that time; at breakfast time; at night.

�On � is used for referring to days as periods of time:

on Monday; on the following day; on May the first; on New Year �s Day.

Also in the expression:

Trains leave the station on the hour. [ �hourly �, ie 1 o �clock, 2 o �clock, etc.]

�In � or, less commonly, �during � is used for periods longer or shorter than a day:

in the evening; in summer; in August; during Holy Week; in 1969; in the eigthteenth century; in the months that followed.

So, FrauSue, Yanogator, Professor Quirk and his 5 colleagues, and I, are all in agreement.

"I sleep at night."

Les Douglas

23 Sep 2018     

[email protected]
Sri Lanka

Hi FrauSue/Las Douglas/Bruce 

I am really appreciating your guidance for the above confusion.
It is very clear now with your help. 
Thanks again.
I wish you to have a good day! 

Desha 

24 Sep 2018