Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Chinese whisper    

Chinese whisper

rosammd
Spain

Chinese whisper

Hello friends!

I would like to ask you about "Chinese whisper". Have you ever used it with your students? How do you play it?Is it just for sentences or is it possible to play it with words? If not, could you please tell me any game you have used to practising with words.

Thank  you very much!
Have a good night!

26 Mar 2009      

anaisabel001
Spain

You can have a look at this site .It may help you

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A782516

26 Mar 2009     

rosammd
Spain

Thanks a lot. Very useful

26 Mar 2009     

poleta
Spain

I use this game to play with words with very young learners in this way:
Make two groups of children  and form 2 rows at the back of the classroom.Draw the vocabulary that  you want to revise or use  flashcards... then the teacher tell a word to a member of every team and the goal of the game is to whisper the word correctly till the first member of a team who is near the blackboard listen the word and run to point to the word or to pick it up.
The team that get the word first win a point.The first member pass to the bottom of his row.

I hope you like the game ,I think It�s useful.My pupils love it.

26 Mar 2009     

rosammd
Spain

Thank you very much for your explanation, I have done it with sentences and didnt know if it works with words.
Thanks!

27 Mar 2009     

puspita
Indonesia

Hi rosammd,
I use this game but modify it a bit. Only players with odd numbers can whisper, while others with even numbers can only mime it. The last player of course writes the words/sentence on the board. Then the last player becomes number one, previous number one becomes number 2, etc, so everyone has his/her turn.

27 Mar 2009     

Logos
Malaysia

I use this slightly differently. I have a number of teams, each equal in number (approximately 7 or 8 a team) and then have them sit on the floor in a long row. It is important to have them sitting because if they stand they cheat and just bunch together to get the information. Then give the person at the back a poem or sentence. Not one that they can memorise in one go such as: She sell sea shells on the sea shore. The sea shells that she sells are Irish sea shore shells. The back person tells the next in line the first two or three words "She sells sea shells" and then they have to pass this down the line to the front person who writes it down on a piece of paper. They continue doing this, passing the poem or sentences down in small pieces and the team that can write the message correctly at the end wins. In this way every one is active most of the time as the passing of the message is in pieces and does not require anyone to memorise large chunks. It does work, I have used it many times in classes of over 60 kids.

27 Mar 2009     

ameliarator
United States

This is a great game! �Where I �m from it �s known as "telephone" and adults often use it to make kids understand why they shouldn �t believe rumors.

27 Mar 2009     

rosammd
Spain

Thank you very much puspita, logos and ameliarator because of your message about chinese whisper. Your explanations are very useful, and we often call it "telephone" in Spain.
Thanks a lot

27 Mar 2009