Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Help with evaluating students ´ speaking abilities    

Help with evaluating students ´ speaking abilities

luv2tch
United States

Help with evaluating students ´ speaking abilities

Do any of you have a technique to formally evaluate your students � speaking skills?  I assess informally in every class, but I would like some suggestions how to formally assess  - do you have a checklist?  Do you try to talk with each student individually?  How often do you do formal assessment of a student �s speaking ability. 
I am new to this site and have been learning so much from this forum.  Thank you!
Suzanne

29 Mar 2009      

manonski (f)
Canada

I �m like you. I do assess informally.
I also use self-evaluation.
When my students do a speaking activity, they usually have a sheet with them with some words or sentences to help them interact. I put the self-evaluation activity on that same sheet. What I found was motivating to them was when I put stickers. (I buy the small one at the dollar store). Whenever I catch them talking English during that specific activity, I put a sticker. In the end, some students have lots of them and they �re happy about that. It also leaves traces of the oral interaction for the parents when they look at their child �s work.

29 Mar 2009     

brookee
United States

Hi Manonski~~

Could you elaborate more on the "self-evaluation" sheet?  What does it include?  How is it designed?

Your idea is intriguing, so I �d like to know more.

Thanks, Brooke

29 Mar 2009     

eng789
Israel

I sent you something( PM).  I hope it helps.Hug

29 Mar 2009     

brookee
United States

@ eng789~~

Could you share your idea on the forum with us?  I �m curious to see what other teachers are doing.

Thanks, Brooke

29 Mar 2009     

zoemorosini
United States

Hello all:

In Massachusetts public schools (in the USA) we use a rubric called the MELA-O "Massachusetts English Language Assessment-Oral" that can be found at the Department of Elementary and Secondary Ed website:  http://www.doe.mass.edu/mcas/mepa/?section=elpbo  

I was a member of the committee that helped to write the state ELPBO (English Language Proficiency Benchmarks and Outcomes) document in 2003.  The MELA-O rubric is included in it near the end.  Go to the appendices section, click through a couple of pages and you�ll find the rubric.  It�s on a single page.

The teacher basically sits down with each student individually and asks them any number of questions.  Then you draw an "X" across the boxes according to where the student falls in production and comprehension.

We assess all levels of our English language learners every fall and spring using it.  It is a helpful tool.

The entire document is useful for planning ESL and ELL programs wherever you are in the world.  I hope it helps someone here.

--zoemorosini

29 Mar 2009     

luv2tch
United States

I like the idea for self evaluation and the oral presentation checklist for my High Beginning and up students.  How about the Beginners?  I also forgot to mention that I am working with adults - although I think many of the same techniques for evaluating can be applied to both children and adults. 

29 Mar 2009     

zoemorosini
United States

Hi luv2tch:

I sent you a private message, but I wanted to make sure you knew that the MELA-O rubric is used at all ESL levels.

--zoe morosini

29 Mar 2009     

aftab57
United Kingdom

There are many ways of assessing speaking skills and depending on whether it is formal/informal, formative/summative etc. here are just some examples of rubrics/templates that different people use.

29 Mar 2009     

eng789
Israel

I think we need too clarify something.  

I am talking about Oral presentations - where kids present a topic to the class.

I think that some of you are talking about an Oral evaluation test where pupils sit with a tester and is asked questions - he is marked on his proficincy and language skills.

The criteria for evaluation is of course different.
Barbara

29 Mar 2009     

luv2tch
United States

I want to thank all of you for being so helpful.  You are awesome!  I will get brave enough to post some worksheets one of these days, but am thankful for the opportunity to learn from you on this forum. 

29 Mar 2009