Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Going to    

Going to

domenico
Canada

Going to

I would like your opinion.  When you use going to can you make a question even though it is not planned.  For example �where are you going to tonigt? �.  Is that ok or do you have to use where will you go tonight?

3 Apr 2009      

Tere-arg
Argentina

Where are you going to  go tonight?  is asking about the listener�s plans.

What are you doing tonight? is asking about the arrangements made.

Will is used for spontaneous decisions and future predictions (no intention implied or facts to base upon)
I  am not sure about the correctness of asking "What will you do tonight?" unless you continue it saying "What will you do tonight if it rains/if ..."

3 Apr 2009     

eng789
Israel

As a Canadian -  If this was a quiz question : Where _______________ (you/go) to night? 
I would expect to get -   Where will you go tonight ?  or Where are you going to go tonight?

But I would accept - Where are you going to night?   If it was free writing. 

3 Apr 2009     

douglas
United States

Barbara, I think you mean " going to tonight"  or??

3 Apr 2009     

Neru006
Argentina

I would say: Where are you going tonight?

Using "Going to" implies present intentions for the future BUT when the main verb with "going to" is "go", it is commonly omitted.

Embarrassed

8 Apr 2009