Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Yes/No Questions - Is This Question Grammatically Correct?    

Yes/No Questions - Is This Question Grammatically Correct?

worldangel
Singapore

Yes/No Questions - Is This Question Grammatically Correct?

The task is that my students need to form �Yes/No � questions from the statements given. One of the statements given was this:

�No, it is not a fancy-dress party �.

Most of my pupils wrote the question as:

�Is it a fancy-dress party? �

Is this sentence grammatically correct, particularly the �is it � part? My gut feeling somehow tells me that there is something wrong there, but I can �t really pinpoint the mistake...

Thanks in advance!

4 Apr 2009      

libertybelle
United States

Grammatically - the answer is correct.
A correct answer is almost always a part of the question.

Is this girl 12 years old.
Yes, this girl is 12 years old.

Are the boys tired?
yes, the boys are tired.

Hope this helps
L

4 Apr 2009     

freddie
Canada

Hello!

As your question must follow from the answer the students were given then I absolutely agree with the lovely and talented Libertybelle. Smile

But you may be questioning the use of ´it´ vs ´this´ As always then answer depends on the context.

If you arrive at the party and you did not wear appropriate clothes and you notice everyone in costumes you would ask someone " Is this (as in this party that we are at, more immediate) a fancy dress party?"

But if someone is inviting you to a party and you ask them /What kind of party is it? Is it a fancy dress party? The  �it` here refers to the party that you are talking about. It is more removed.

Hope that was useful?

4 Apr 2009     

worldangel
Singapore

Yup, both of the replies here have been extremely helpful! Thanks :)

5 Apr 2009