Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Concerning Postcard exchange    

Concerning Postcard exchange

yogiba61
Spain

Concerning Postcard exchange

I �ve just started the postcard exchange. My students didn �t know how to write a postcard. Can you imagine? They didn �t know where to write the address and the didn �t know where to put the stamp!!! They asked me: Why do we have to write postcards? Why don �t we write an e-mail? I told him how nice it was to recieve a postcard from a different country.... They weren �t really convinced. It �s a pity. That �s what we have. New technoligies are great but I sometimes miss very simple things like a postcard. A big hug for everybody.

7 Apr 2009      

gilorit
Israel

Hi
What do  you think about sending postcards to students in another country???
I started teaching about postcards and we practice writing them - It will be nice and authentic if we send real ones .I am talking about 7 graders (12-13 years old)
Orit

7 Apr 2009     

mariannina
Italy

Hello, my strudents are very young (6- 10 years old) but receiving a postcard is always a nice thing. Why don �t we exchange our addresses?

7 Apr 2009     

lillizen
Brazil

Oh, it really is a shame that kids can �t understand the pleasure of getting a letter or postcard. But your idea of making them write and exchange postcards is great!

I myself didn �t write much when I was a kid, but I sent and received one or another letter every now and then. And it was great to get a letter. It would make my day. ^.^

One of these days, I was talking to a cousin of mine, who is about my age, in the thirties, and  he told me he still kept a letter I wrote to him about.... 20 years ago! =O Was I surprised! And glad. =) He didn �t have it with him then, but I am curious to see it, and to see my handwriting, and ideas! omg... hehe

Anyways, coming back to the topic, I give tutoring classes only, and I have individual students, that means they are not many and they are mostly young adults. If anyone is interested in exchanging postcards/emails/letters, please, let me know.

Lilli. ^.^

7 Apr 2009     

johanne23232
Israel

I �ve been doing postcard and postal mail letter exchanges between my students and others from Japan, Canada and a Native American reserve in the U.S.  Although at first my students also said "Why not email???" in the end they simply loved it. I too, discovered that they had never written a real postcard or a real letter in their lives! They also had no idea where to put the date, etc, or how to sign off. I �ve never seen them as motivated to write , nor as excited when the envelopes arrived.
 We exchanged photos, and many of the kids kept on writing even after the school year.  I recommend it with all my heart . 

7 Apr 2009     

gilorit
Israel

If anyone is willing to try exchanging postcards with my students (7 th grade), please send me a private message and we will talk about it.
Orit ;-)

7 Apr 2009