Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Mixed wss    

Mixed wss

zailda
Brazil

Mixed wss

I �ve seen that many members publish wss with lots of different grammar topics and mixed vocabulary and I have some problems adapting them for using with my students and unfortunatelly I can �t use 50% of them because the topics belong to different books or levels.

There are excellent wss that I �m eager to use with my students but I can �t... Could you - please - divide your wss into 2 or 3 according to the topics even when they are related? Students at book 1 study verb to be and present continuous; book 2, simple present and book 3, past. So a ws mixing all of these topics becomes useless for me (maybe to other members as well). I can use it only for a general review and we don �t do it every week, maybe once or twice in a semester.

I �m not asking for customized wss, but it �ll be easier to make them fit for everyone.

Just a suggestion, not a complaint.

13 Apr 2009      

Naranjas
Russian Federation

As for me I don �t think the idea is good. All of us make wss according to our own needs and here we just share what we have. If we start making wss specially for this site it will change the whole idea of it(I don �t say it will make it worse - it will just change it).�
Personally I think there are enough great separate wss on each topic so why not let different ones exist? I see some of them are downloaded a lot so �some people need them.

13 Apr 2009     

zailda
Brazil

I think it �s strange to say that a teacher prepares a ws for his/her students with lots of mixed things because we normally teach them apart. When I prepare a ws for my students it �s, for example, about what I �m teaching that time - present continuous. The next lesson may be about simple present, so I prepare a ws about it.

Sure it �s good to have wss to review and compare different topics, but sometimes the person can publish 2 or 3 versions of the same ws. I did it yesterday with the same subject, with simple present: explanation, exercises and test. I won �t use them at the same time, so I created them separatedly.

If you prepare a ws for your students I think it �s not a big effort to adapt it before posting here, so you will reach more people and help more teachers. As a result you �ll get more downloads as well.

When I prepare a ws I think first in my students; before publishing the same ws here sometimes I split it to adjust to other teachers needs too. Isn �t the aim of this site to help each other? Or is it only to show what you �re teaching now?

But as I mentioned, it �s just a suggestion, maybe some members could think about it the next time they upload a ws.

13 Apr 2009     

Logos
Malaysia

I find this suggestion a little strange.  All worksheets are in Word format and so can be opened and edited in Word.  The beauty of this is you can change anything you want.  So if you want to take a little bit of this one and a little bit of that and put them together then you can do that.  If you don �t like some of the content of a worksheet then don �t blame the originator - just cut it out and substitute your own.

When you download a worksheet then you take it �as is �.  It may not totally appeal to your style and aims of teaching, but it may appeal to someone else.

So if you don �t like the way a worksheet is organised then don �t download it - or change it yourself.

13 Apr 2009     

JulietaVL
Mexico

I just want to mention that not all of the worksheets can be modified, the author just pastes like a big picture on word with all the exercises included and they cannot be modified although I try

13 Apr 2009     

zailda
Brazil

I know I can modify the wss, but sometimes it doesn �t work. If there are lots of questions about mixed things related to one text, for example, I would make everything again.

I agree with Logos that if you don �t like a ws, just download other you like. But what if you really like a ws and its idea and really want to use it with your ss but they only will learn past tense next year and there are plenty of questions with past mixed with present and present continuous?

As I said before, it �s just a suggestion to think about, everyone is free to post whatever s/he wants. But just in case they think about and find it a good suggestion... if they don �t, just forget.

13 Apr 2009