Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > X will commit to start the project / or / X will commit to starting the project ???    

X will commit to start the project / or / X will commit to starting the project ???

soleole
Uruguay

X will commit to start the project / or / X will commit to starting the project ???

any suggestions/explanations?

Thanks guys!!! Smile

23 Apr 2009      

Lana.
Ireland

The second one is better than the first one, although the first one doesn �t sound completely wrong.

It �s the use of gerund /infinitive after the verb rule. I don �t remember it very well.

Why can �t you commit to do something? Although, if you commit to doing something, it somehow sounds more natural... 

23 Apr 2009     

soleole
Uruguay

Hi lana! thanks for the answer, that �s what I thought too... I think I will resort to the second one, it does sound somewhat more natural in a positive statement.
Thanks! :o)

23 Apr 2009     

freddie
Canada

Hi

It is definitely the second "commit to starting the project". "starting the project " is the "thing" X is commiting to. We are using a gerund phrase as the object.

Does that help?? Smile

23 Apr 2009     

eng789
Israel

The second sounds better to me.

23 Apr 2009     

soleole
Uruguay

Hi freddie and Eng789! it sure helps!! it confirms what I thought! thanks to both! :o)

23 Apr 2009     

alex1968
Greece

commit to + ...ing (in all instances! rule)

23 Apr 2009