Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Word Search Automatic WS Generator & Quality of Work    

Word Search Automatic WS Generator & Quality of Work

darryl_cameron
Hong Kong

Word Search Automatic WS Generator & Quality of Work

Greetings,

I �m concerned about the quality of material being put on here and would like some opinions.

Specifically, automatic worksheet generators and word-searches.

I �ve seen more than a few uploaded fresh from web based generators without even changeing font, adding pictures or ensuring asthetics and proper spacing of the W.S.

here are a couple of links to the hundreds of online programs available and you will see what I mean when you browse through the available material here.

Is this really a WS �created � by teachers?
Should this site accept such work, especially when I see the magnificent work on offer by others??
Do you thing they are terrible pieces of work?
Can people even bother to spend a few minutes to make it interesting for students???
Am I out of order????

I would really like to know if I am on the wrong track here ... thx

25 Apr 2009      

sazzag
United Kingdom

Hello Darryl.  Hope you are having a good weekend!

I have noticed the automatic wordsearches and I wondered about them too. 

My feeling is that yes they are "created" because you do have to choose and enter the words and information etc and therefore I don �t think they should be removed. 

However, I do agree the quality would be much improved by "adding some value" in the form of pictures, putting a nice font and title.  Our students deserve it.

The thing is that the teachers who use this site see that there are some really beautiful pieces of work here and I think that they will just not choose the poorer quality ones.  It is kind of bit of natural selection.  If worksheets are not downloaded the people who uploaded them don �t get any points and therefore I think they will start to realise that they need to make a bit more effort or try to fathom how to do some editing on Word.  (which at the beginning is not easy, I �m still not very good at it though I do try Embarrassed).

So rather than putting more rules and conditions I think we should just hope that people figure it out for themselves.  The only inconvenience is having to sift through a lot of worksheets to choose what to download but it �s not the end of the world.

So what do you think?

Sarah

25 Apr 2009     

libertybelle
United States

I often use Word-searches in my teaching because my kids love them and I use them for re-enforcing new words.  All my word searches pertain to a story or subject matter such as THE HOUSE; PETS etc.
They are great for vocabulary use and making sentences and grammar exercises too.

I bought the Puzzlemaker about 4 years ago and use it together with reading and other activities like many others here.
If people like puzzles and can use them in the classroom, then there is no reason to veto them here.

25 Apr 2009     

s.lefevre
Brazil

I don �t understand the doubt. Why couldn �t people use the puzzlemakers? Nobody is copying anything. People are doing a great , hard work making those wordseaches and crosswords. Nobody ever said that free tools arn �t allowed here. If we go on this way, there won �t be anything left. Everything comes from somewhere, nothing is completly new. So let �s be reasonable.
Have a nice weekend
Silvia

25 Apr 2009     

Logos
Malaysia

Judging quality of a worksheet is a very subjective matter and sometimes it does not seem fair that someone who uses one of these generators makes a worksheet in five minutes and gets 100 points and yet another spends hours creating and designing their own creations and only gets 5.

Whilst this may not seem fair it is a fact of life.  People come to the site and download worksheets that they need to use.  They are not downloaded simply because they look attractive (though that helps) but because they can be used by the teacher for a purpose in the class room - it is sheer market forces - supply and demand.

It would be nice if contributors who use these facilities did add a little of their own idea and individualism, but the fact is that many don �t - but they still get donwloaded anyway!!!!

25 Apr 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

Hi there....just popping in quickly :-).... just to add to what already has been said... things made from Tools for Educators is actually copyrighted and NOT allowed to be used here... Mark Cox the owner of MES and Tools for educators is a member here and HE specifically states on his websites that you while you can use it to make things for your students and in your classrooms it is  NOT to be distributed in any other way (ie as a worksheet here). The exact information is stated at the bottom of each page in his websites...

As for other programmes... just check the copyright information of how you may or may no use it. :-)

25 Apr 2009     

darryl_cameron
Hong Kong

Thats brilliant!

Some great points for me to consider there.

Many of my kids love these puzzles and I will continue to use them, (I do them with the kids equally enthusiastically!). Personally I would be too embarassed to hand them out without some kind of editing though and usually add pictures and some dialogue.

I �ll just let Darwinism take it �s course if there �s nothing illegal involved here, and the teachers �hard work � will be rewarded with multiple downloads Wink.

26 Apr 2009