Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > keep´em simple    

keep´em simple

dawnmain
United Kingdom

keep´em simple

Don�t you think its a good idea not to cover worksheets in fancy borders, fonts, pix, graphics etc which waste an enormous amount of very expensive ink to print, take longer to download, and take me personally (being a bit useless at word and short of cash) ages to remove.

14 Oct 2008      

demeter_mar
Uruguay

Sorry, but I don�t agree with you.

I know that probably for some teachers could be difficult or even expensive to work with them, but the reason to make them so colorful and covered with pictures is to make them more atractive for students.

From my own experience I can tell you that there is a big difference for them between a very simple ws and another one with images and borders. They feel more interested in the last option.

But of course, you have some other ws as good as the decorated that you can use, only search them in the section printables.

14 Oct 2008     

donapeter
Romania

I totally agree with Demeter. My students are so happy when they see a colorful worksheet. If i ask them to choose between a simple one and a colorful one, they definitely  choose the colorful one. They are happier when working with colors. Even if they are teenagers. So, I use them that way and I do them that way,too. 

14 Oct 2008     

Zora
Canada

I have to agree with you dawn. I have said this a few times that so much clip art isn�t needed....yes, a bit of colour is fine but unfortunately, I have found that people tend to download the most visually appetizing worksheets. And while there are a few us here who like the "not so colorful worksheets" - exactly for the reasons you have given, most people end up downloading the ones that are loaded with colour. I think it�s a psycological (sp?) thing, "It�s prettier, therefore it has to be better..." (I dunno the true reason but I think that is partially part of it. *shrugs*)

PS... I don�t think students are THAT choosy and if they are then that is sad indeed. I�ve never had problems and I usually use black and white worksheets.

14 Oct 2008     

gilorit
Israel

You can always change the color to grey or B&w before printing.
I don�t give colored ws to students but when they have team work assignments they get laminated colored pages.
I always have laminated colored pages for extra work
Orit :-)

14 Oct 2008     

Mishuna
Argentina

I agree with dawn...I only use blac and white worksheets and if possible, to colour. I only use worksheets in colour for myself...anyway I noticed that the most popular WS are those of vocabulary and in bright colours and although they are great pieces of art, I don�t need them. It has to do with each teacher�s need. In fact, there are thousands and thousands of WS and you can choose which to download. That�s one of the best thing that this place has...it gives you the possibility to choose according to your needs.

14 Oct 2008     

Anna P
Brazil

Since there are two distinct opinions about the use of coloured backgrounds and embellishements, the solution would be to create worksheets that can easily be edited.  This way, teachers who prefer coloured worksheets would use them as they come and the ones who prefer more simple work would have the option of deleting background, extra pictures, etc.  That is what I do but, unfortunatelly, some worksheets cannot be edited.

14 Oct 2008     

Anna P
Brazil

Oooops, embellishments!  This is what happens when we use fancy words and do not check before sending!

14 Oct 2008     

Delphine 05
Belgium

As far as I�m concerned I try to send WS that the others can easily edit... But sometimes I must scan my own productions and copy/past in a new word .doc... When you use some colours and images/pictures it takes to much place and it�s over 300kb.  Scanning is sometimes THE solution.... but unfortunately it�s impossible to edit such WS 

14 Oct 2008