Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > Format of documents    

Format of documents

sanchia
United Kingdom

Format of documents

Hi,

I �m new to this site and I �d love to share, and partake, of these excellent resources. I just don �t understand why all the documents have to be .doc files. I create all my decent handouts in publisher and have no idea how to convert them to word. If I did, they �d be pages long! That �s why I do them in publisher. Any tips or hints? Lots of these resources seem to be very polised and were clearly downloadable to this site. Am I just not au fait with .doc?

5 May 2009      

mjotab
Spain

Hello, I think that publisher has an option in "save as" to save your documents as doc
The problem with documents in .pub is that people don �t usually have publisher installed in their pc.

5 May 2009     

susiebelle
United States

You can �t save anything with pictures on �Save As � with Publisher. 

The easiest way is to �Save As �  a gif or jpeg (in other words, convert the document to a graphic).  You can reduce the size of the graphic in any graphics/picture program (I use AC/Dsee)  I then take the graphic and paste it into a Word 97-2003 document (you should reset your margins to zero -0)

5 May 2009     

mjotab
Spain

Well, I think it is not going to work. It seems the way to tranfer your documents to word is select everything, make a group in "organize", and then go to Word and paste it in a "special paste" like html or gif. Beware of the margins. I �m sorry about my English here, but I do not know the English names in your menus because mine are in Spanish.

5 May 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

I too was a publisher worshipper.... but I quickly got the hang of doing worksheets in word...
The thing with with publisher if you copy your worksheet as an image and paste it into word is that it becomes uneditable which is a huge issue... I know that I personally do not like anything that I cannot change as I need to adapt worksheets for whatever group I have. Very rarely can I use something I have saved and printed straight off.
Any text will not be as good as quality either... and if I have downloaded someone �s work (EX: one  I love ***waves to Katiana***) usually if I use a worksheet that is an image I need to insert a text box/es and re type all the text so that it is clear and easy to read.

Also if there are any grammatical errors, spelling errors (difference between American and British spelling for example) then it becomes really frustrating.

My advice is to get playing around with the functions in word and after the initial frustration you will be creating super worksheets using word instead of publisher.
Also if you do send in worksheets in word that are uneditable please can you write this is your description. Many get frustrated to download something and find out after that they cannot change it for their needs.

Good luck!

6 May 2009