Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > cultural or grammatical?    

cultural or grammatical?

claudio_santos
Brazil

cultural or grammatical?

hi everybody, i teach english in brazil and we have a day to celebrate all mothers. we name this celebration with the word mother in the plural form, in my school we prepared some posts and i wrote "happy mothers � day", a friend said that the correct form it is "happy mother �s day", i explained i had written that way considering the rules for genitive in plural form, but he told me that it is a cultural issue, in english it is written in singular form. as i never lived abroad i am in doubt about it. i would like to have a clear explanation about this. i also want to thank everybody for sharing ideas with me through this website.

6 May 2009      

aegw01
United States

Well, your friend is right, it is Happy Mother �s Day.  However, being a typical native speaker, I have absolutely NO idea why that is.  I could only guess that we only have ONE mother each, and we only think of OUR mother on that day???  Yeah, dumb answer, but I would say it �s cultural.  

Sorry for the lack of explanation. 

Angie

6 May 2009     

sea camel
Belgium

Well, I found a possible explanation on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother �s_Day

Good luck!

Kristien

6 May 2009     

cookingongas
France

Wow, thanks Kristian. You �ve just saved me from making a fool of myself. I �m English, and like to think I �m well educated, but I was just about to say that it should be "mothers � day" (being a day for all mothers), until I read the Wikipedia article.

Angie - I was about to suggest you were wrong, so now I �m about to apologise.

I still think all mothers deserve recognition, not just our own.

All the best,

Charles.

6 May 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

I �ve been around a while and it has always been Mother �s Day.  It �s the day for "Mother".

6 May 2009     

claudio_santos
Brazil

i really want to thank the ones who answered my question concerning the correct way to write "happy mother �s day". it was really helpful, and now i have an explanation about the reason it is written this way if a student or someone else asks me about. thanks a lot for all you.

8 May 2009