Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > SOS! Relative Clauses & Pronouns    

SOS! Relative Clauses & Pronouns

Innovice Teacher
Sri Lanka

SOS! Relative Clauses & Pronouns

Dear great teachers,

Please, I need help with how to explain what is a Relative Clause and Relative Pronouns/Adverbs (especially: how, which, whose, where, when) to students who have never studied that.

The explanation should be very simple please.

I have to explain this lesson tomorrowConfused

Thank u

10 May 2009      

HARIM
Morocco

Have a look at this one by ajwon

Cheers

10 May 2009     

Innovice Teacher
Sri Lanka

thank you harim for the link, but it only explains when do we use the pronouns "who, which, whose."

what about "where, when" and what about the main aprt of the lesson: Relative clause???

Thank you

10 May 2009     

Lana.
Ireland

http://www.english-the-easy-way.com/Nouns/Relative_Pronouns.htm

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/645/01/

You know, sometimes you can just Google things...Wink

10 May 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

When i see my students may find the issue difficult, I try to make it as simple as possible until they feel confident enough to go further.I usually give the basics first.

Maybe this helps:

Relative clauses give information about a noun.
They are composed of a main clause (1) and the relative clause (2).

An architect is a person
who designs buildings.
                    1                                2

They always follow that noun in two ways:

1. making it definite (defining relative clause)

This is the house where we were born.

or

2. giving additional information which is not important  and can be deleted without altering the idea. This clause is always between commas or after a comma at the end of a sentence. (non-defining relative clause)

Your new neighbour, who is a well-known lawyer, invited us to dinner.

They always refer to the noun preceding them so if that noun is a person, the relative pronoun will be who:

people...................who
things....................which
place......................where
possession............whose

Anyway, there are very good printables if you enter "relative clauses" in the search box up here.

10 May 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

This is from English the Easy Way.com

Examples:

• Who is that man in there street?  
  • This is good English? 

10 May 2009     

Abdelhadi
Morocco

I �m afraid but your comment has nothing to do with the question of Innovice Teacher.

Your explanation would be helpful to Innovice Teacher and his/her students, unless the Ss are a piece of meat without a brain. We don �t know! Only the teacher knows the real level of his Ss.

I just advise you dear Innovice Teacher to pay a lot of attention when you download the printables here because many of them may contain confusing mistakes. Talking about Relative clauses and pronouns, I myself downloaded a ws called "Relative clauses" uploaded by Malvarosa with 454 points and 78 praising comments in which nobody noticed that the contributor has mixed between the definitions of the defining clause and the non-defining clause. This could totally confuse a teacher, especially if he/she is innovice. I also found that a printable called "RELATIVE CLAUSES Defining/ non defining" by Mar (itxasobcn) having about 3 mistakes.

So Innovice Teacher if you find that Tere-arg  �s explanation is enough then it �s ok, otherwise I advise you to follow Lana, Dublin  �s advice and try google before downloading the printables here..

But unfortunately you have no points so u can �t download any ...

Hurry up. Tomorrow is very near!

ThanxSmile

Abdelhadi 

10 May 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Abdel, that �s your opinion.  I felt it relevant and therefore posted it. Are you the forum police?  Did you see where it came from?  It is from one of the links given by Lana.  Why do even have to comment on my post?  It is not your thread.

10 May 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Abdel:
"Your explanation would be helpful to
Innovice Teacher and his/her students, unless the Ss are a piece of meat without a brain. We don �t know! Only the teacher knows the real level of his Ss"
DUDE!!!! What is with the attitude?  If you are going to speak my language learn the rules of politeness. 

10 May 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

I also found that a printable called "RELATIVE CLAUSES Defining/ non defining" by Mar (itxasobcn) having about 3 mistakes.
This is an incomplete thought. If you �re going to bash someone �s English make sure yours is better.

10 May 2009     

Mar (itxasobcn)
Spain

Hi Abdel,
We all make mistakes on our ws. I find them constantly and they are mos of the time due to the hurry we �re in when we make them.
You know, sometimes you have to make ws for your students, correct some homework, phone some parents and more things if you own a school, like I do.
So obviously, I find my mistakes and other people �s mistakes, so what? If you read carefully the ws before printing it, you �ll probably see the mistakes and you will be able to correct them.

Have a nice day,

Mar (itxasobcn)

10 May 2009     

1    2    Next >