Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > That or who in literature/novels    

That or who in literature/novels

sea camel
Belgium

That or who in literature/novels

Hi guys

Today I was teaching about defining and non-defining relative clauses. We were talking about the use of relative pronouns when one of the pupils said/asked this: The pronoun �that � can be used instead of �who �/ �which �. Isn �t it true that �that � is used more often in literature than  �who �/ �which �?

Well, I couldn �t answer him. He also told me he had been reading some novels and he seemed to notice this. He really is a very intelligent boy, one of the smartest pupils I have this year ( and had in the past years).

Personally I �d say that there isn �t any difference and that the use of this word is a personal choice made by the writer him/herself. I told him I �d look this up but I haven �t found an answer so far.

So, I thought about turning to you. What would you tell him?

Greetings

Kristien

12 May 2009      

libertybelle
United States

It all depends on the situation.
Who is usually used about people and that and which about things.
But sometimes you can use that instead of who.

You wouldn �t write:
He is the boy which comes late everyday.
you �d write:
He is the boy who comes late everyday.

I wouldn �t even write that instead - I �d use who.

12 May 2009     

sea camel
Belgium

Hi libertybell

Nice to see and hear you again!

Well, in class we live by the rule. As I understand it, the use of �that � instead of �who � is not a common thing (It �s different when we talk about �which �. There  �that � can be replaced by �which � more easily.) I wouldn �t promote the use of �that � instead of �who � either but in my Student �s Book they give these two options. I �ll tell them to be careful about this.

So the pupil I have is mistaken about the impression he has got i.e. in literature they use �that � more often.

Thanks for your helping hand!

Kristien

I don�t know how I did this. Answering LB before she even answered me Confused.

12 May 2009     

Zora
Canada

I don �t know but to me using "that" is more natural... and who/which more formal. Although, I know what the set rules are and I know we should do this and that...

Maybe it �s a cultural thing or maybe Lisa has been teaching grammar too long!! LOL

12 May 2009     

serene
Greece

I think in defining relative clauses that is more usual than which. It �s also possible to use that instead of who. e.g. The man that greeted us works in my father �s office.

12 May 2009     

sea camel
Belgium

Sooo... I think I get the picture... Although, now I am a bit confused too as my student was talking about Michael Cunningham and he �s American, isn �t he? It �s doesn �t really fit into the (other) picture.

Well, anyway, I �ll leave you to discuss it, my sweet advisors Hug,  but as I get it, it �s simply cultural difference and as I thought personal choice (and one could discuss what the choice really is but therefore it �s getting too late here).

Thanks for helping me!

Kristien  

12 May 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Who? what? Me? Teach Grammar?Embarrassed
I interchange who and that a lot-  maybe I �ve been away from the States for too long!

12 May 2009     

MichaelaD
United Kingdom

Hello,

She �s the girl that stole my ring! (informal)
She �s the girl who stole my ring! (more formal and correct in literature)

Best,

Michaela

13 May 2009