Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > BILINGUALISM    

BILINGUALISM

Irenix
Spain

BILINGUALISM

Hello everybody!!!!

I �m a primary teacher who teaches science and other non-linguistic areas, such as art, in English. I �ve started this topic to discuss about because here in Spain we haven �t got so much information about this new way of teaching. So, if you have something to say, come on and share it! I will be really pleased. All the material I �ve posted is related to my bilingual lessons.

19 May 2009      

Hazelgirl
Guatemala

You seem to be teaching by the Content-Based Method.  You don �t learn the language to understand a topic.  You go the way around: by learning a content/topic, you learn the language.  It is a recent trend, and it works.  Personally, I believe anything that helps students to make their knowledge wider is ok.  But  I would never forget teaching grammar.... it �s like the language skeleton.  Good luck!!!

19 May 2009     

ssrl10
Spain

There is a lot of information about CLIL in Spain. The term in Spanish is "Ense�anza de contenidos curriculares y lengua extranjera". I did some research on it for my PhD 4 years ago. There are lots of books and courses.

19 May 2009     

teacherlupe
Spain

Hello Irenix,

I teach in a bilingual school in Madrid, I have the same problem than you because we have to teach Science and you must work a lot to preprare our lessons. You can find things about CLIL, but it is more theory than practise that we need. You can improve your English but you must study if you want to answer the questions about Science, It is difficult.

Regards from Leganes

Guadalupe

19 May 2009     

ssrl10
Spain

There are specific courses at Universities, such as the Complutense, many courses in CLIL. Maybe you haven�t heard of them but when I started researching for my PhD I learnt that since 1998 there is loot of info on the topic, both theoretical and practical, in English and Spanish.

19 May 2009     

kmtr
United States

How interesting that this trend is world wide! In the US, we use the same method for teaching immigrants English in our public schools. We call it "sheltered instruction". The most known/common method is SIOP which was developed by the Center for Applied Linguistics. There is a lot of info on the web about SIOP as well. The key is knowing what language functions you will need in order to accomplish the content objectives. CAL (www.cal.org) has a lot of online resources about language learning both for free and to order. I printed off a bunch of journal articles from there and used them for staff development with my faculty.

20 May 2009