Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > Reporting and moderating    

Reporting and moderating

Vickiii
New Zealand

Reporting and moderating

Hi Victor,

I was wondering if there is any benefit to having reporters/moderators names listed automatically when they report or vote.

The reporters rarely sign their name to the report - they either
- don �t realise their name is not automatically added
or
- prefer to remain anonymous.

It just seems to me that many people will do or say things when they are assured of anonyminity that they wouldn �t otherwise say or do. 

Personally I would be interested in knowing who reported my old Dr Seuss Calender - just out of plain curiosity. 
(I have removed it as they were correct it wasn �t meeting the new rules - I only posted it as it was part of a set for people doing a study on Dr Seuss).

On a related issue - Again out of pure curiosity -

Are we able to see stats on a worksheet being moderated?
It would be interesting to see how many people are voting each way.
I look at the comments and if there is several supporting my opinion I don �t always vote.  I just think - ok - that one is taken care of.  It dawned on me today that not everyone leaves a comment, therefore, it is not apparent to us if a worksheet needs more votes to keep or remove.

I know curiosity killed the cat - this time curiosity might kill your leisure time! 

Thanks for your wonderful website - as usualy - I do think it is fantastic just how it is - feel free to ignore suggestions as you please.

Sincerely
Vickiii

23 May 2009      

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Vickiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii,
I think that is a good idea.  We can see what the percentage is of for and against votes.
many people will do or say things when they are assured of anonyminity that they wouldn �t otherwise say or do. 
This is so true.  It �s easy to be rude when a person hides behind a computer. 

23 May 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Good ideas Vickiii. I �d also add that a total number of votes should also be included on the �rejection letter � that is sent - this will make the voting system more transparent for non �moderators �.

Cheers,
AB

23 May 2009     

Zora
Canada

I agree, it would be a good idea since I am like Vickii sometimes. Especially lately because I am so busy. I just glance at the reported stuff and if something looks like it needs help I �ll vote, if not I �ll just leave it since I refuse to vote without commenting and signing my name - which takes time.

23 May 2009     

Cassy
Brazil

I agree with you stexstme.
I have some printables which were reported because they didn�t apply the "new rules", but when I uploaded they were ok.
Some moderators keep on checking "old printables" to report them and leave impolite messages for us.
I think that we should be reasonable.
Have a great Saturday.
Cassy

23 May 2009     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Cassy - it is not the moderators reporting your worksheet.

ANYONE can report your worksheet.

The moderators just vote on what has been reported.

We don �t choose what gets reported - I certainly didn �t choose to have my own work reported and I don �t believe it was a moderator who reported it - as I would say that most moderators would be aware of how to pm me if they thought their was a problem.  Most moderators these days leave their name next to their comments as well. 

23 May 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Cassy,
It takes a lot of time to go over all the reported printables and I certainly won �t go over old printables in the hope of reporting extra more.

I know some people choose to become anonymous because some people retaliated out of frustration or something else.  I always sign my name when I comment and I agree it �s easier to be rude when you know your name won �t automatically appear. I �d prefer it if they were automatically inserted just like they do when  we comment on the download page.

23 May 2009     

mena22
Portugal

Hi vickii! I absolutely agree with you. I �ve always defended that our names should appear when we vote,

hugs,
mena

23 May 2009     

Miss Del
Argentina

GREAT idea Vickiii ! -

23 May 2009     

lolelozano
Argentina

I think it �s a good idea, Vickiii-
When people are assured their anonymity, they feel free to speak.

Have a good day,
Guadalupe

23 May 2009