Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Dominoes best method?    

Dominoes best method?

gkole70
United States

Dominoes best method?

I know that dominoes are played by laying like to like categories until someone can �t play, but does anyone have tips for making it as interesting as possible for students? Thanks - Gary 

3 Jun 2009      

zailda
Brazil

I prepare the dominoes with the written words & pics so they have to remember the pics � names to get successful. Today I took a domino to school for my advanced students to practice the vocabulary from 2 lessons. They loved and spent almost half an hour playing and having fun, and at the end they could tell any of the pics names without thinking about.

It was the second time I prepared a domino game for this class, they put the cards (I make domino cards) on the floor, sit in a big circle and have a lot of fun. I guess they think it �s not a real class, but they learn a lot, even if they don �t notice it.

3 Jun 2009     

gkole70
United States

Alright, Zailda, thanks for your ideas. I have seen lots of great domino sets with vocab but I really wasn �t sure how people use them. Sorry, but how is the game competitive? Do they play to block other teams and try to use all of theirs? I am guessing that is the way to play. Gary

3 Jun 2009     

zailda
Brazil

Playing with three or four ss at a time, the game is fast. First I divide the students into two groups and they play as we normally play dominoes, the diference is that we change the players each match. Each turn the ss who won gains a point for his/her group and the group with more points is the winner at the end. I normally give candy or stickers to the winners, but they like to play even when I only have a "congratulations hands-shaking" to give them.

3 Jun 2009