Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Help this Argeninean Teacher-to-be.    

Help this Argeninean Teacher-to-be.

Miss_Alel�
Argentina

Help this Argeninean Teacher-to-be.

HI there!! I am Studying at the Teacher Trainee course and I am making a lesson plan on the topic "My family", but this is the problem: the appointed teacher asked me to teach family members and parts of the house, which is perfectly simple to relate, but my "Practice" teacher wants me to relate family to age and origin... but this kids know very little and to do so intead of teaching 6 rooms of the house I �ll have to teach them numbers (age) and countries as well. All this lesson should be framed in a Content Based Instruction Approach to teaching... I �ve solved the question of teaching "origin" by using neighbouring countries (which names in English are similar to the Spanish version) but my Question is how to teach numbers for talking about ages. (framed in a CBI)
Please help me!

5 Jun 2009      

meuge
Argentina

Hi Aleli!
How old are your students? Beginners, false beginners? How long should your lesson take?
You will have to give some more details...

6 Jun 2009     

Miss_Alel�
Argentina

Only two lessons. 3 1/2 hs total. It�s 4th form. They have had only 6 lessons with the appointed teacher so they know very little but the majority showed a very positive attitude towards my first class. My main concern is how to teach numbers to talk about age in just one class.  To make matters worse this school is located in a very poor neighborhood, There are 3 Ss aged 13 and their misbehavior is beyond your imagination.

Thanks for all your help.

6 Jun 2009     

Neda
Argentina

Let �see. I can help you. which book are you using there? do you have to write  the unit in english or in spanish? Give me more details...

6 Jun 2009     

Apodo
Australia

Your sts may know how to count a little.
You could write the numbers and their words on the board to include the eldest student �s age.

1  one
2  two
11 eleven
12 twelve
15  fifteen etc.

Get students to say numbers with you. Repeat words that are difficult. Count round the class.

Draw a birthday cake with candles & a child with a name underneath eg: Tomas (stick figures are fine)
Count the candles aloud encourage students to participate.
Say � Tomas is six �
Point to a student and say �How old are you? �

Draw another candle on the cake. Recount.
Draw another child, say � Maria is seven �
Draw a word bubble so Maria says � I am seven �
Point to a student and say �How old are you? �

Encourage student by saying �I �m ...... � then point at the numbers round that students age.
Once they get the pattern of �How old are you? � �I �m thirteen � etc. they could pair off and ask each other.
You can then ask �How old is he/she? �, pointing to another student to elicit the answer �He/she is ........ � .

Good Luck!

6 Jun 2009