Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > About my ws     

About my ws

zailda
Brazil

About my ws

I prepared the ws Jobs - discover and have fun - uploaded on May, 14th, (http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=231915#thetop) to use in a special class that happened last Saturday and only when I printed it I realized how difficult it was to read the numbers on the crosswords. I updated the ws but it turned into a 4-page one and too big to upload here (305kb) and if I resize it again the numbers won �t be clear enough (again). So if you downloaded it and want a better version, just ask me by PM.

By the way I used definitions taken from Wikipedia and my ss were advised that I didn �t revise them - I never do it when I use a site �s work because I think that if I change a word I can change anything, so it won �t be the person �s work anymore. Some teachers allerted me by PM about mistakes on the definitions and since I won �t correct them - if I use someone �s words I use them exactly what s/he said, you can easily replace the definitions by yours or your definitions taken from your fave dictionary. For me and my ss they are OK, and they had a great work with it.

When I use texts taken from a site I ask the ss to revise them (and they did it last Saturday, they are intermediate ss and completely able to do it) and this is part of their work. It �s a way to keep them aware that we can �t trust anything just because we read it on the net. I also take some mistakes ss generally make on tests and bring them to intermediate / advanced ss to correct, and they love to do it, they say they learn a lot doing this kind of work.

I also replaced some verbs with approximated meaning because the original ones would be too obvious (the only changes I made and also allerted the ss) and told them it was just to make the ws more challenging and to make them think about and not just to look for similar words. Example - I substituted the verb "drive" by "conduct" because the verb drive would immediately be associated with driver, and they won �t have to think or read the definition.

Of course, when I download wss here I correct the mistakes (if there are some) or change words, pics and replace British by American English because they are prepared in word specially to let you adapt them, and so I do. But when I take a text from a book or a site I don �t.

Sorry if I used the board to say this, but the ws had 200 downloads and most of them without a message, so it´ll be too hard to PM everyone.

Have a nice weekend

Zailda Coirano

7 Jun 2009      

salete
Portugal

I �d like the new version of your worksheet. I must confess that I haven �s used it yet so I was not aware of the problems it might have created.  Could you send it to mey e-mail: [email protected]. Thanks.

7 Jun 2009     

crisholm
Spain

If you are using eclipse crossword maker, there is a tool in the software that allows you to change the size of the numbers. (This is for new crosswords or reediting the ones you previously made, a messy process).
The same happened to me (that �s why I know - learning the hard way!)

7 Jun 2009     

ants
Switzerland

Hi Zailda,

The crossword numbers are still too small to read...could you try what Crisholm told you and see if that works.

Send it to me again if it does work as the squares are also quite small.Smile
Thanks and sorry to be such a nuisance but it �s a wonderful worksheet and I want to use it!!
Hugs,
Fiona.

7 Jun 2009