Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Who are you, so coward?    

Who are you, so coward?

Daiane
Brazil

Who are you, so coward?

When you think that a ws has to be removed, you have to be sure about it because we have to do the better for all of us and for the website. Because the ws doesn �t follow the rules. But people, unfortunatelly, don �t know the meaning of friendship and show us all their unpolite behavior.

Be carefully when you reported someone because I �m always very polite and friendly with everyone here and I just would like to receive the same.

I �m very surprised to know that people like this might be a teacher.

13 Jun 2009      

Stellam
Argentina

Sorry, I don �t have an answer to your question. I �m a new member, I �ve been here only for a week now, but I �ve heard many people complaining about the reporting and removal of their worksheets. I just don �t understand how this system works. How do you learn when someone reports a ws of yours? Can you explain this to me? Please.

Thanks in advance,
Stella

13 Jun 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

Hi Newaday,

I can see you are a newish member, but I am not quite sure what you mean in your post today.
I will try my best to explain how the system works.
There are specific guidelines on what materials can be submitted here. The rules are agreed to by every new user when they sign up in the register section which also explains how things work here. They can also be read again later in the send a printable section.

Reported worksheets. Unfortunately there are teachers around the world who do not share in Victors vision of sharing to receive. They copy and paste from other websites, copy and upload worksheets from other teachers blogs etc to try and gain fast points to be able to take what they want from here. In a perfect world everyone would be honest and fair... it is quite sad to see so many "teachers" from around the world that try to cheat the system and upload work that is not  theirs.

Which is THE MAIN RULE of this site. Upload work that is YOURS.

The job of checking reported printables in the past was  Victors job alone. But he was not able to view and remove every day the copied/taken/stolen printables as he is a teacher too with a job and a life! I don �t think anyone quite realised the job he was facing until he opened up the moderating section. I know that I was shocked to see the sheer amount of copied and pasted/ taken from other members,work taken from blog sites etc worksheets. Vanda, a much loved member here, her worksheets are ALWAYS in the reported section as so many people take her worksheets and try to upload them here... not realising that everyone here knows her awesome worksheets!!! The other day nearly the whole reporting page was taken up just with her worksheets that numerous new members had taken from her blog!

Every one of course needs to be checked with internet links etc to see if it is indeed a copy. Some days there can be 50 some days there can be 20 reported printables...and they stay up for around 12 hours... so when you think of just how big the problem is, Victor had to use some very creative problem solving.

It was a bumpy start as some people do hide behind anonymity and were not as polite as they could have been in the comments section when reviewing a printable. But it has gotten better,  the amount of reported worksheets I think have reduced somewhat as people now KNOW that the chances of getting away with cheating are very small. It takes time and I do think MOST moderators are careful and they do check. They also try very hard to vote according to Victors guidelines given in the moderating section. They are also polite and courteous. There are some of course that are not. But they are the minority here from what I have seen.

But there are some key points to remember:
ANYONE/ ANY MEMBER of this site can report  printable. There is a box on the printable page down the bottom where you can do so. This is important as many people still mistakenly believe that it is just moderators (ie those with over 1000 points)who report printables)
The comments beside a reported printable do not reflect the number of people who have voted. For example there may be only 1-2 comments but maybe 50 people have voted. I know that I do not leave a comment every time I vote but I do try to remember to always sign my name if I do leave a comment.

So as long as the work that you submit is yours, falls within the guidelines set by the sites owner and is not copied from anywhere then you are fine... it �s quite simple really! Big smile

13 Jun 2009     

Mar (itxasobcn)
Spain

Dear teachers,

I still think if every time someone leaves a comment or votes, the name would appear, a lot of people wouldn �t report wss for silly reasons like this one:
�I downloaded this and only got the vocabulary I didnt get the pictures????? �
C �mon, is this a reason to report a ws? I don �t think so (this is a lovely ws made by Tisha).
Neither would people leave nasty, bitter, coward anonymous comments if they knew their names would appear clearly for everybody to be seen. Those cowards would think twice before attacking other contributors.
But don �t forget that Victor can see who leaves the comments, and he might get fed up with what �s happening here lately and he might decide to put on the forum the names of those who leave nasty comments. What would happen then?

Have a nice day,

Mar

13 Jun 2009     

eng789
Israel

After reading the comments on todays reported ws,  I prefer not to be a moderator.

Victor - please add to this :  YOU MUST SIGN YOUR NAME!   to

Reported contributions

As a Moderator member (over 1000 points) you can help to avoid abuses in this website (copied contributions and non-esl resources).
Please confirm these reports only if you are sure. Do not confirm a report just because other users say it is a copy.

Maybe that will stop the rudeness.  Some members are just mean and they hide behind their anonymity .  Personally, if you don �t want to sign your name - don �t vote.  It �s very simple.

Maybe there is a way to put a ws on hold (stop it from collecting points) once it has been reported while the following are done.  1.  members have a chance to evaluate it  properly and make a decision.   2. the creator is notified and asked remove it or repair it (add activities or remove translations)

13 Jun 2009     

Katiana
Spain

I completely agree with Mar and Eng789. I have already written Victor a pm and suggested the idea of blocking a ws once it is reported not only for the reasons Eng789 has just pointed out but also to avoid people downloading a ws that has been stolen from another member here. Although we always write comments warning people not to download the stolen ws, there are quite a lot who still do it. Those points are lost because the ws is removed and the original owner doesn�t gain those points, either. Let�s hope Victor reconsider all these suggestions.

13 Jun 2009     

David Lisgo
Japan

Mar, I completely agree that �the name of the reporter or moderator should appear every time someone reports or leaves a comment �. This should be automated, because there are some unscrupulous members who lie even about their names. I think it was Mena who seemed to have left two comments on the same worksheet earlier in the week, but this is not possible.

I too hope that Victor will continue to make improvements to this already wonderful community.

David

13 Jun 2009     

mena22
Portugal

I couldn �t agree more with you! In fact, I �ve just left a comment on the reported contributions page saying how shocked I was by the rudeness of some comments and wishing that victor would agree to think of the possibility of  making the names of the voters appear automatically with their comments. Besides, Like David has just pointed out, this would also prevent that a member could write a comment and add someone else �s name to it. I find this possibility extremely annoying.

Newdaday is of course absolutely right when she says we all should be treated respectfully. And it is definitely most disturbing to see the lack of good manners and politeness of some members, a minority Thank God, especially when you are always so polite as is her case.

Wish you all a wonderful day.
mena

13 Jun 2009     

Daiane
Brazil

I �d like to thank you to everyone who gave this opinion. Your opinions will contribute to the sollution of this problem.
As Mena said, members like this one are the minority. I �ve made great friends here and I �m lerning a lot with them.
I agree with Mar and I keep my fingers crossed that it would be happen.
Actually, I agree with all of you and thank you so much for the supporting.
Let �s hope Victor �s decision.

Ah, Victor: I �m so sorry if I caused any matter to you!

Have a nice weekend!

13 Jun 2009