Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > To all teachers teaching English in Primary schools!Which was the book that was adopted and what īs your review on it?    

To all teachers teaching English in Primary schools!Which was the book that was adopted and what īs your review on it?

portugueseteacher
Portugal

To all teachers teaching English in Primary schools!Which was the book that was adopted and what īs your review on it?

As far as I īm concerned, in the current school year I used the book Zabadoo 1 (3th grade) and Zabadoo 2 (4th grade) .

Some additional material was provided(flashcards) and a cd.

My students enjoyed the book and it certainly was appealing as it īs very colourful, has nice characters(Laura, Leo, Zabadoo, a nice genius ) and at the end of each unit there are review exercises(Time for Fun!).I strongly recommend it.

In the 2th grade I used Zappy 2 which I think could be better organised and spreads a bit of confusion.Nevertheless, the puppets and crafts were lovely!

However , some years ago, I used Story Magic(Macmillan) and I found it more demanding and complete!

It had a wizard and very nice songs!

14 Jun 2009      

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Portuguese teacher
i don īt teach in primary, but on 2nd grade ( 5th and 6th) grade, anyway I would like to know everything about what is going on with you, in primary. If you get any worth answer, if you want to share any ideas, I will be very pleased.
Best wishes for next year
this one is running down to the end.
We have a God taking care after usConfused Do we ?
Hugs

14 Jun 2009     

verita
Portugal

Hi there!
This year I used "English and Me! 3�/4� Ano" - Pearson/Longman. In my opinion this book is great:
- You can use it both in the 3rd and 4th grade (just turn it upside down!, less a book you have to carry!) And of course is good fro the parents because they buy a book (about 8�) and it can be used in two different school years!!!
- It has a set of flashcards and wordcards
- Cds (2 cds for each level, with listenings and songs)
-Whiteboard software
-Workbook (Black and White, the pupils can colour it as they like)
-Posters (7 I think)
-Board Stories (2)
-The characters are lovely (a boy and a girl and 2 candies)
- It has stories (such as Little Red Ridding Hood) adapted to the topic children are learning
- Picture dictionary at the end of the unit
- Balanced vocabulary (maximum 10 words each unit)
- easy to work with (The teacher īs book is a good help when you don īt have time to plan).

For the 1st and 2nd year I didn īt use a book, I prepared some worksheets and alsoused some exercises from TIC TAC (Gailivro) and from Fairyland (Express Publishing). I like the project fairyland as well.

Last week I got new books from Porto Editora for Primary Level, I only scan them quickly between classes, and they seemed quite good to me! I can īt remember the name of the set... if I remember, I īll drop you a line!!! 

All the best
Vera

14 Jun 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

Hi, I teach Chatterbox 1- 4 to 1st-4th grade! I love it! Especially parts 3 and 4! The story is great, kids like it, and tha language material is inspiring... However, books do help, but you can have the best book in the world and a bad teacher would do nothing with it, and vice versa - a good teacher can work without a book, or turn a poor book into a treasury... For me, Chatterbox is really good - provides a lot, and still leaves room for all kinds of additional material! Has anyone used English Adventure (with Disney characters)? I was offered to, but couldn īt change at that time, and I was afraid it looks better than it is... If anyone has used it - share your experience, please...
Anita

14 Jun 2009     

manuelanunes3
Portugal

Hi

Here: Zabadoo

It īs good to work with but only if you take good advantage of the CD and other material they send with it.
In my lessons I always use the CD for chants, songs, vocabulary and other games.

Best wishes
Manuela

14 Jun 2009     

isaserra
Portugal

Hello,

I also teach primary level...At the school where I  work, I use the Zappy from Porto Editora, it īs the same book for all the grades with different levels...

I don īt really like this book, because of the songs that are nothing special and some dialogues are awful, because we hear adult make the voices of children...

@Verita
I think the new books from Porto Editora you are talking about are called HOOLA HOOP, aren īt they? Have you gone to the presentation session? What do you think about these new books? Are they better than Zappy?

@anitarobi
I know the course book English Adventure and I think it īs very good...It has very good songs and the teacher īs book is also very good with a lot of suggestion.

14 Jun 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

THANKS, ISASERRA

14 Jun 2009     

portugueseteacher
Portugal

Well, this topic is quite interesting!Smile
By the way, there īs a great set of books from Constancia Santillana which is aimed at primary students in order to revise the contents of the year.It comes with"Língua Portuguesa" and a fantastic English book with tons of exercises for Summer.I highy recomend them!
Thanks for your nice and enriching contributes!Hoping to hear more from you!
Hugs,Hug
Susana

14 Jun 2009     

fleur
Malta

Here in Malta Primary government schools
grade 2  use Happy House 2.
Readers vary in schools.  We use
Oxford reading tree Readers, Biff and Chip series.

14 Jun 2009     

portugueseteacher
Portugal

Dear fleur:what īs your opinion about Happy House?

Did it have a nice layout?Motivating exercises?

What about the characters?Were they different(with handicapped children and people of all races, fostering cultural diversity?)

I think we should consider several criteria to evaluate a book...

I suggest the following:

-organisation of contents;
-relevance and meaningfulness of contents:are they really relevant /suitable to children īs interests;
-level of difficulty-is it appropriate to the grade?
-complementary resources:puppets,specially for the 1st and 2 grades, flashcards, photocopiables, cds audio..
-fun factor-how appealing and funny is the book?We all know we learn better this way...
-cultural awareness-how different is English culture from pupils � culture?
-mixed abilities section(fast finishers and slow paced students resources)
-special needs education resources (familiarisation with characters from the book who can be different but not less important)
-4 skills(reading, writing, listening, speaking)-is there a good balance between them?
(...)

Can you please give more suggestions?
Thanking in advance!Smile

Greetings

Portuguese Teacher

14 Jun 2009