Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Warm-ups.    

Warm-ups.

Vickiii
New Zealand

Warm-ups.

I don�t know about you - but I love to start a class with a warm-up activity to turn everyones english brain on.

Some people believe it is important that the warm-up be connected to the topic of the day.  Other people believe it just needs to engage the students. 

I believe you have to get them laughing so they forget about feeling self-conscious. 

Here is a great website (not ESL but) that has a whole lot of english signs that have double meanings

For example: Bertha Belch, a missionary from Africa, will be speaking tonight at Calvary Methodist. Come hear Bertha Belch all the way from Africa.LOLHelps if you know that belch means burp...
I shared this with my students one day and once they worked out what it meant - they all got the giggles.

Another favourite of mine: 

Lenten Worship Sermon:The Surest Road to Hell
Below that:                              "Transportation Available. Please call before noon Saturday."

Check out the site for other great starter signs with double meanings.

22 Oct 2008      

kprichorniana
Mexico

LOL Funny and effective I�m sure.  I dont think warm ups should relate to the grammar to be seen (not always anyways) I personaly do a daily inspirational quote and a daily word with meaning and sample sentence.  After that any 5 minute activity that comes to mind, riddles, jockes, tongue twisters are very effective (specially when you have students create their own. 

My favorite daily quote :  We must build dykes of courage to hold back floods of fear -- by Marthin Luther King Jr.
My students�s favorite wordso far: flabergasted (they even made cartoons for it!)

22 Oct 2008