Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > > What do you say, dear colleagues?    

What do you say, dear colleagues?

brahmam
India

What do you say, dear colleagues?

Today I downloaded this worksheet which is almost similar to mine which was uploaded ten months ago.
This is the new worksheet �s link:
http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=266959#thetop
And here is mine:
http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=89818#thetop
And this man has got only 34 points. Do you think it is stolen?
Your valuable suggestions please!

---- Brahmam

5 Aug 2009      

David Lisgo
Japan

Yes! I �ll report it.

5 Aug 2009     

s.lefevre
Brazil

Hi Brahmam,
This member used your layout but he made different sentences. There are lots of discussions about using somebodys layout and many members think that it isn �t right. I have never participated in this kind of discussion because I respect their opinion. But I also think that we all are inspired by something, a book, an outdoor, a website and, of course, worksheets from ESL printables. Some members have used my layout and I have never reported it because I think that sharing also means pass further good ideas. I think that something is stolen if there is no change in the exercise. So it �s up to you to report it or not. If you report it, I �m sure the moderators will vote for deleting, as there is such a case at the reported worksheets at the moment. But think if you are doing a good thing for the students all over the word.

5 Aug 2009     

brahmam
India

Thank you, lefevre.

I don �t mind if someone used my layout with a new idea. But this person has just changed the sentences and I think anyone who downloaded my worksheet can do that and use with their students. Worksheets are editable. So, why did that person do that. At least he should have mentioned that he got inspired by someone �s work.

5 Aug 2009     

Akanah
Spain

Hi!

I �m with s.lefevre in this one.
 Thanks for sharing your work.

Olga

5 Aug 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

Dear Brahmam!

I agree that the layout is almost similar. But this is a game board and (race) game boards have almost the same basic layout; competitors have to go from box to box following a path.
This user has used boxes available in MS-Word with different content.
I my view a copied or stolen WS is the one that is similar to the original one in content and in layout when this one is really personal made up from things not available is MS-word.
I, for one, I won �t vote for its removal if it comes to be reported.

This is my own opinion.

Take care!

5 Aug 2009     

David Lisgo
Japan

Moderators are trying very hard to stamp out unethical behaviour so please do not shift the onus onto �brahmam �, it is he who has been wronged. �robertap � should apologize and withdraw the worksheet in question. Please do not encourage this kind of unethical use of other people �s hard work.

5 Aug 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Yes - Brahmam - they do look alike - only yours is much, much nicer!
L

5 Aug 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

Dear David,

Can you precise which post you are referring to by "so please do not shift the onus onto �brahmam �" Because I don �t see the point. No one in all the previous posts tried to incriminate Brahmam. He has the right to complain about or report something he does not like. We have the right to state our opinions since this is what he asked for originally, isn �t it?

Then, I don �t think a layout whatever genius and original it could be does make a WS. What makes a WS is the content.
This is another of my personal opinions.

EDIT:
No one is encouraging theft or plagiarism. How could you just imagine this? All we (I) are trying to do is to avoid being unfair with some members especially the new ones. I prefer to shut my eyes on such things as layout or some L1 support or authors name on a WS than demolish someone´s hours of efforts just because of a fault he/she made very often by ignorance of some rules or some computing tricks.

take care dear David.

5 Aug 2009     

David Lisgo
Japan

Who talking about �incrimination � S lefevre said:

"Some members have used my layout and I have never reported it because I think that sharing also means pass further good ideas. I think that something is stolen if there is no change in the exercise. So it �s up to you to report it or not. If you report it, I �m sure the moderators will vote for deleting, as there is such a case at the reported worksheets at the moment. But think if you are doing a good thing for the students all over the word." (My emphasis)

This is no criticism of her message, she has every right (as I do) to express her opinion,  but I do see that the onus for action has been shifted onto �brahmam �.

5 Aug 2009     

Pastanaga
Spain

HI Brahman,
I agree with you and understand your feelings. The two worksheets look very much alike. Not only the layout (there are exactly 36 squares in both) but the content is the same, just with different sentences. The activity is the same: it �s about turning active voice into passive voice.

For me, it �s a copy.

Brahman: I �m totally with you.
David: Also agree with you that the �onus � has been mistakenly shifted to Brahman.

5 Aug 2009     

1    2    Next >