Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > To my dear friends Brazilian and Portuguese (?) teachers.    

To my dear friends Brazilian and Portuguese (?) teachers.

luisaluisa
Brazil

To my dear friends Brazilian and Portuguese (?) teachers.

Does anyone know how to say "cara de pau" in English?
Thanks a lot.
Lu�sa

2 Sep 2009      

agloria
Portugal

Hello, I �m not sure but I think we can use "cheeky" or "to have the nerve" or "shameless".
Agloria

2 Sep 2009     

danibauer
Brazil

Hi, Luisa!

It �s "poker face"!

Best Regards,

Daniela

2 Sep 2009     

gloriawpai
Brazil

Cheeky

2 Sep 2009     

maricrivano
Brazil

I�ve heard as "hardnose".

3 Sep 2009     

Tint
South Africa

This is what I love about language :) Each language has unique expressions that give it character. Cara de pau is so descriptive!!

Agloria has the most accurate definition of the term, being shameless or to �have a nerve �. We also use "To have a cheek" (do not confuse this with �cheeky �) or "to have the audacity".

�Cheeky � is (from Webster �s Random House): impudent; insolent: a cheeky fellow; cheeky behavior. I think a good translation for �cheeky � would be �impudente � or even �atrevido �. I would go with �atrevido �.

�Hardnose � is more stubborn or unsentimental.... someone who goes ahead and does something even though no one else is happy with it. Random House gives the example: "We need a hard-nose to run the department."

I hope this helps!

Edit: I hadn�t gone to Renac�s link. There is good stuff on there too. A lot is what I have put here. I think the only one where I would say �be careful� is the difference between �have a cheek� and �being cheeky�. An observation: pokerface simply means that the person doesn�t show any emotion while saying something. It comes from the game Poker, where your facial expression can tell your opponent if you have a good hand of cards or not.

3 Sep 2009     

pauguzman
Argentina

ohh .. My name is PAULA and I �m called PAU for short ... so my name is used for an expression ...mmm.. funny?!or do I have to worry when I come to Brazil?

3 Sep 2009     

Stellam
Argentina

Hi
I �m curious. what �s the English or Spanish word for �pau �? Is it �pavo �? pato? pollo?Confused

3 Sep 2009     

lillizen
Brazil

Yeah, Paula, it actually really doesn �t sound good, because it means something else in Brazil.

Anyways, Paula is a short and beautiful name, easy to pronounce. :)

3 Sep 2009     

Tint
South Africa

Paula, you don �t need to worry at all. The pronunciation of the word �pau � here will be different to your nickname : )

Stella, �pau �, in this case, is wood, so they �re saying he has a wooden face.

3 Sep 2009