Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > The first day activities of the school    

The first day activities of the school

duck
Turkey

The first day activities of the school

Hi friends,
I would like to have your ideas about the first day activities of the school. In three weeks time, the schools in Turkey are going to be opened. So I need some ideas. What can I do on the first days of the school to refresh the students � mind or to revise the previous subjects that they learnt last term?

Thanks in advance....

4 Sep 2009      

manonski (f)
Canada

It would help if you could give us the age or level of your students.

4 Sep 2009     

feenanou
France

Hi!
It could be a good idea to start with "classroom English", remind  sentences they �ll need to talk in Engliding they �ll use in the class...
OR you could start with holidays... depending on the levels of your pupils,
if you don �t know them, you can also start with introduction : they ask you questions to get to know you and then you play games to get them to introduce themselves...
Last year I started with a song I liked listening to at the time...
I hope this answer will help you,
have fun,
Anne

4 Sep 2009     

Nebal
Lebanon

Check out these threads.

4 Sep 2009     

duck
Turkey

Oh yes sorry I forgot mention the level.Embarrassed It is the elementery level, the age ranging from 8 to 12.
Thanks.

4 Sep 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

The first day of school should not be �school-like � (in my opinion). It �s enough stressful for the kids to have to go to school again bah! so why introduce them to �schooling � right away.
I did the twist (Let �s twist again) with all my students (age 9-14) and i have all the school doing the twist these days. They have happy faces. And i believe that �s what we want before we start with the drilling and teaching and repeating and ... blah, blah, blah. Thumbs Up

4 Sep 2009     

Mariethe House
France

Mariethe House
France

I can assure you , Ivona that the kids at my school were not stressed at all! The physics teacher had to punish 14 of them on the first day!
Dancing the twist ( ouch, my poor back! Although it is my generation...), yes, at the end of term party , maybe .. But I found that I had to fix some rules as they were a bit over the limit! And then we managed to "play the game"! I think the idea  Victoria gave (settting a feww rules) especially for a new teacher is a safer idea! Here is the link:

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=11555

You know, I am not in favour of too many rules, but a few are reassuring for teacher and kids!

The two links Nebal gave are also very sound!

4 Sep 2009      Edit post     Remove post

4 Sep 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Poor you, Mariethe! Smile I went back to the same bunch of kids that i left in June and with whom i already had set the rules, so there was no need for me to go through them with them. I did try to play some games with my 4th graders today (9-y-olds) and it wasn �t it ... So i pulled out the ace up/from?? my sleeve and introduced the twist. They danced and sang in no time! As to the unruly kids .. well, why not channel all that energy through the dancing and singing? I think it �s better than starting up with the rules. They should follow, not precede ... Again, that �s how eye see it and it �s worked with me. Maybe others work in different circumstances, so that should be taken into account, too.
And btw, Victoria �s thread was fab. Don �t get me wrong, people. What i would like to add is that from what i �ve experienced the students need to be told why there are rules in general and in specific. Like, i told my students they shouldn �t run in the classroom before the start of the lesson. Why? They said, because it �s not healthy. Why else? They said, we don �t know. I said, Well, when i come in i ... ? Talk. And while talking i ... ? Breathe. And while i �m breathing the dust gets stuck on my ... ? Throat. And my throat becomes ... ? Sore. And if you do feel like running, you can run ... ? Outside. I do it in a fun way, but once they realise why it is not good to run in the classroom, they �re more likely to stick to the rule. (But i guess, you all knew about this .. it �s just that i �m waiting for hubby to get ready so we can go out to the Grill Festival taking place in my town. Wink)

4 Sep 2009     

Adel A
Egypt

Dear friend

Setting the rules is the most important thing you should do .The age of the ss you are talking about is the most troubling age .To let your ss play or dance in the first day ,i am sure you won �t  contral them later.for 20 years teaching  in different schools in the Arab world ,I reached to a conclusion  that personality of the teacher is formed within the first two weeks.I do �t mean to punish them physically but to be firm enough.Concerning the activities i a dvocate to start by revising the previos items in general  and to tell your ss with the procedures needed to your course.Then the next day to start teaching the course according to the distrubution of the syllabus you put yourself or by the educational directorate.
Finally ,I want to assure that i  ppreciate all the ideas .What i mentioned previously may go with my culture .i also think in Turkey they have common features with our culture.
May Allah bless you
Adel
Egyptian in Saudi Arabia

5 Sep 2009     

Alicia del c.
Argentina

Dear Duck, if you try a power point ( wellcome to school) you can find an activity I have done this year. It`s about how sts feel the first day of class.  My sts loved it very much and we had a very warmed chat about it. hope it`s useful. bye.

5 Sep 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

I have nothing against setting the rules. In fact, they are very important if we want the teaching-learning process to be effective. My students know about my rules and the why of them and rarely break them. Especially because they don �t like the consequences. Wink But i don �t understand why you think that dancing and singing is disruptive?!? When i read comments like that it reminds me of an American film (could be Footloose) where the adults banned rock music because it was disruptive and made young people disobey and all ... I think that music and dancing is just a right and appropriate way of channeling the students� excess energy. Don�t you??

5 Sep 2009     

1    2    Next >