Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > private teachers     

private teachers

Nabila Manzur
Argentina

private teachers

I would like to know how you deal with parents and students when they don`t pay the fees.

Have a great day !

Naby

3 Nov 2008      

ichacantero
Honduras

Hi Naby!!

We�ve had the same problem in my school, sometimes parents don�t pay and we, as teachers, don�t want to affect the student. I have learned that the only option is being very direct and clear with parents, you must talk to them. My other advise is that at the beginning of the class you give them a document stating all your rules and the consequences of not following them. We have a student-teacher agreement in my school, which the students and the teacher sign, when the student is too young, the parent signs it. It states what a student should expect from the teacher and the rules the student must follow. I strongly recommend you do this ;) Have a nice day.

3 Nov 2008     

Nabila Manzur
Argentina

thanks Icha for your advice, to tell you the truth i`m fed up !!!!! I�m so tired of dealing with this!

today i could see that they owe me a huge amount of money and they say that they`ll pay next week, the following and so on, some cases are that the parents are divorced and they throw the ball to each other,
i`m thinking of giving up my institute and start working in another place, I`m so sad today.

I can`t understand how parents send their children to study and they don`t pay a coin for it.

I, as most of you , surely , have a real pleasure when teaching, but i think that i�m losing a lot of time
of being with my family and myself.

3 Nov 2008     

Zora
Canada

We have a very strict policy at my center... each month is paid up front. We will let one month go by, maybe two - then send a letter home with the child or by mail, and on the third month, if the money owed is not at least partially paid up, then... as unfortunate as this is for the child, we will send the child home or not given him class until the debt is paid up. It sounds harsh but people take advantage of others and while we are teachers and love what we do, we have to eat too...

3 Nov 2008     

sebas555
Chile

Hi Naby, Icha and Zora

this happens everywhere, parents take advantage of the situation.

i am teaching private lessons too, and i have never prepared a form,
do u have any idea where could a take a sample from.
in spanish or english, i can adapt it.

thanks NabY for introducing this topic.

Regards

Sebas

3 Nov 2008     

class centre
Belarus

Hi, Naby!
I run my own class where I teach English. First of all, when the parents  aproach me, they are prepared that our class  is something very good, what many people in the town want but there are not enough seats in the class. So, if I accept their child. they are happy and don�t want to lose the place. Then they sign  our RULES and CONDITIONS, where everything I need them to know is depicted. They are to pay in advance for an agreed number of  lessons.
If not - I give them a certain time, but then orally declare that the teaching of their child is over. The same thing happens if a child misbehaves,or misses too many classes during a month. I put myself very strict and withdraw some of them without hesitation. So, the others see that it�s serious. To be honest, It doesn�t happen often, just once or twice during all 15 years of our class existence.
After a big conflict with a father I did not  sleep the whole night and elaborated the rules. So, make them, too.
The more serious the rules are the more respectful the parents will be.

Good luck, Naby!

3 Nov 2008     

Nabila Manzur
Argentina

Thanks Natasha for your words!

If i go on teaching private lessons i will create a ^rules and conditions^form.

I feel so blue today, i dont know if i`ll teach on my own next year.

maybe then i consider it again.

3 Nov 2008     

Zora
Canada

One thing with the rules and conditions thing... legally the piece of paper is quite worthless. We tried that and quite honestly, it didn�t stop the amount of people who didn�t pay. You need just to be very alert and at the first sign of problems, you must nick it before it nicks you...

Also Nabila, have faith... today is a bad day, I�m sure that tomorrow will be better... :-)

3 Nov 2008     

miss_yanis
Argentina

Hi Naby! I see your point, but pleaseeee don�t give up!!

I know maybe you feel like giving up your insitute, but if you work somewhere else you�ll have to deal with yr boss and other problems too.

I love teaching and enjoy it a lot. Unfortunately, I don�t have the oportunity to work by myself, in my own institute, and for that reason i coordinate someone else�s place.

Let me tell u it�s not easy at all. You need to put up with a lot of silly things and comments. And the worst of all this is that you never get a thank you or a reward for all the effort you do. Moreover, the only person that benefits from it is the owner of the insitute. I�ve worked long hours, day after day, making ws and preparing classes, and doing things which I didn�t have to do, and today, I find myself struggling to get a decent holiday.

Well, I too am having a black day today!!

PLease don�t put your arms down!! Cheer up!! After the storm there�s always the sun!

And you know what people say... if you cry for the sun at night, you�ll never see the wonder of stars...

Kisses!!

MIss Yanis

3 Nov 2008     

Nabila Manzur
Argentina

Zora & Yani ! Thanks a lot for your words:)

3 Nov 2008     

Ewcik
Poland

Sorry for writing a bit off topic. But the saying that you Miss Yanis provided is just wonderful. I have never heard it before. It is so simple but at the same time so charming and uplifting. Thank you so much for it

3 Nov 2008     

1    2    3    Next >