Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Silly question: Pronouncing 2010 and subsequent years    

Silly question: Pronouncing 2010 and subsequent years

frenchfrog
France

Silly question: Pronouncing 2010 and subsequent years

I have just read the following article and it is not really clear to me!!

When the new year comes, should I say to my students �Happy New Year Twenty-Ten � or �Happy New Year Two Thousand and Ten �?

To our Canadian members: is it the �Twenty-Ten Winter Olympics � or �the Two Thousand and Ten Olympics �? Confused

To our English members: is is the �London Twenty-Twelve Olympics � or �London Two Thousand and Twelve Olympics �? Confused (By the way, Paris should have won! Tongue)

To our South African members: is it �the Twenty-Ten FIFA World Cup � or �the Two-Thousand and Ten FIFA World Cup? � Confused

Thanks for your help!

24 Nov 2009      

manonski (f)
Canada

Hi Laurence,
What I hear on the news and in commercials is Two Thousand and ten.

Greetings from Canada!

24 Nov 2009     

frenchfrog
France

Thumbs Up

24 Nov 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

I think it could go either way. I say both and some combinations sound better than others.  I have been calling 2012 "twenty twelve".  It just sounds better to me this way.  The famous movie 2001 was called Two Thousand and One (Twenty Oh-One sounds weird and clumsy).  The sequel was 2010, Twenty Ten-The Year We Make Contact.  The article is just talking about the possible versions of referring to the dates.  It seems that numbers below ten are referred to by the single units whereas those over ten are referred by the two digits.  The dates are said in pairs.  2012 is made up of twenty and twelve, hence the name twenty twelve. 

24 Nov 2009     

FroggyClaudine
France

Dear Frenchfrog, 
As the saying goes here and translated word for word, you cut the grass under my feet ! I was just about to start a topic asking the same question and here you are. Unfortunately, we �ve only got two answers. Not clear either.....
Please dear native speakers, help, help !!!!

24 Nov 2009     

scottsminkey
United States

In American English, the word "and" is not used when speaking "2010." It would be spoken as "twenty ten" or "two thousand ten." The "two thousand x" form can be used for any year in the 21st century.

To Spagman63: the spoken title of "2001: A Space Odyssey" was "two thousand one," without the "and." :)

- Scott

24 Nov 2009     

snejankaaa
Bulgaria

Thank you,Scott!!!

24 Nov 2009     

feenanou
France

Last I heard about the London Olympics I heard 20/12 (twenty/twelve). As I �m never sure (I �ve told my pupils that I �m not absolutely positive about that) but as soon as there are  2 zeros in the middle, use thousand, don �t when there �s only one...

So 2001 : two thousand (and) one
2010 : twenty ten
2105 : twenty-one O five...

I hope it �s not completely wrong... Native speakers : HELP

Wacko

24 Nov 2009