Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Black & White -vs- Color    

Black & White -vs- Color

kmtr
United States

Black & White -vs- Color

Hello all. I have a philosophical question for you all.  (I am sure that those who have been around longer than I will remember a previous discussion on this topic and send the link...)

I use black and white worksheets because at my school we do not have a color copier and the color printer is under tight security and we get charged if we print "too much."  However, the b/w printer is right in my classroom and the b/w copiers are easily available and free.  So I upload worksheets that I have used, which are b/w. I know the color worksheets here catch the eye and get a lot of downloads. 

Two questions:

#1 (for general interest to see how other schools work):  What copy/printing resources do you have available to you? Are you charged per copy? Do your students have to pay for their worksheets?

#2 (for my own uploading future): Can you upload a worksheet in b/w and color so that everyone gets what they need? 

Thanks for your input! I appreciate this site so much--for both the help with worksheets and the collegial interaction!!

31 Jan 2010      

manonski (f)
Canada

Hi

You can upload a colour version and a b/w version as long as you upload them on the same day.

I rarely use the colour printer for my students, unless it �s a sheet that will stay in the classroom and be used over and over again. For example, a vocabulary/pictionary sheet. Otherwise, I print on a regular photocopier. Colour versions don �t bother me much. I usually set my printer to print in b/w.

31 Jan 2010     

andresdomingo
Costa Rica

Dear KMTR:

As per your request:   I used b/W  worksheets because is easier for printing in a neat manner. 
I work in a school where my students are of a low resources.  Even though I ask for a symbolic contribution for the worksheets I give them, at last I have to pay for the worksheets at a copy center from  my own packet.   But as the saying goes: "that �s the way the ball bounces".  The main purpose is:  that my students learn the subjects matter in the best possible way, with the help of all these resources as the mention:  The worksheets.   Do you agree?

Best regards and blessings!

andres domingo (Mar�a)

31 Jan 2010     

teachertonyinchina
China

Hi,

In my school I can print as many colour sheets as I want. I teach in China and I would think that most schools in China would be the same.  The reason being that printers use small bottles of ink that sit next to the printer. Coloured ink is the same price as black.

31 Jan 2010     

eng789
Israel

Wow,  I could never print a color ws for my classes,  it would cost the school a fortune.

I prefer b+w because I don �t have to spend the time removing the color.  I especially prefer that the ws don �t have background colors.

I �m off to school,  have a great week.

Barbara

31 Jan 2010     

DUSIA
Poland

I usually use b+w copies. Sometimes I print something in colour but if I do it I use my own printer (my own ink unfortunately) - so I do it just from time to time when I want to reward some students or class. In my school students have to pay some money for the paper and I can copy worksheets at school. Howerev, there is always a queue of teachers so I bought myself a printer which is quite economical and I usually print exercises at home...
      And to be honest I must say that sometimes I am just confused by "too much of a decoration"... When you teach little children it is different but in case of teenagers too much ornaments, colour and pictures (which are not a part of the exercise, just the decoration)  is useless... (maybe thats why I do not get SOOO MUCH downloads - still luckily I get enough)

31 Jan 2010     

ebrahmi
Tunisia

Great topic for discussion, Kmtr.

In my school, we never ever print in color simply coz we don �t have color printers and I think it is the same in every school in Tunisia. Besides, the school where I �m teaching is for pupils aged between 16 & 19, so there �s no need to print handouts in color. The only reason I upload colored printables is that I know -- as everyone  on here does -- they are more likely to attract the attention of  ESLprintables members & hence I can get more points.

31 Jan 2010     

baiba
Latvia

Morning everybody,

I can tell you how I use colour worksheets.

I post them on my study site (Moodle) and students do the tasks online, then send the answers to me. This way there is no need to print them, everything happens in the virtual environment.

Worksheets can also be shown at the lesson with OHP and, of course, colour sheets are more popular among students than b/w, especially if they are younger.

If I have to print them, I edit them myself (remove backgrounds and colours). If a worksheet is good, it �s worth the extra work!

31 Jan 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

In our school we can �t copy color either. For me a colored worksheet is a drawback since I need to spend time removing the backgrounds etc. (and somethimes when there are a lot of different colored textboxes, it will be a reason NOT to download. I have uploaded worksheets with color here but only in case the clip art I used was color. I upload it here as I first made it and thaen set my computer to greyscale to print. I do not add extra colors to make it attractive for the site, I make the worksheet first of all for my own use with my students. I know that means less downloads but I am still convinced that downloads is not what it is about....It seems silly to add colors, even though i cannot use them and knowing that most people need to remove them as well...Teachers have enough work as it is...
I am sooooo jealous of teachers in China!! It would be great to be able to print as much color as I please!

31 Jan 2010     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Hi,
for my students I can use only B&W version. We �ve got colour printer at school but we can use it only in special occasions. But I am allowed to print some things in colour though: game-boards, dominoes, posters, etc. I usually laminate them and they are not for one use. But other wss I always print in B&W.
We are not charged for copies, but last week our principal asked us to copy only the most important things. Due to the crisis our school got very little money and it is possible by the end of the year we won �t be able to pay for cartridges or to buy paper. Unhappy I hope it will not be so bad.
I upload most of my work in both - coloured and B&W version so everyone can get what they need. The funny thing is I use only some of my coloured wss, the rest I created because of ESL printables members like them.
Have a nice Sunday, Michaela

31 Jan 2010     

joy2bill
Australia

What a great idea, Baiba. Clap My school is trying to get us to use Moodle but I am not familiar with it so I am still printing. I am doing a lot of work on the Interactive whiteboard.
I wish I could send some of these to this site.

Like most schools we have no access to a colour printer so I just print out the worksheet in b&w. I normally find no problem at all. Occasionally I have to take the colour out but it is usually just the background.

When I create my own worksheets I must admit I don �t know how to copy the whole page so that I can redo it in B&W. Nor do I know how to convert it into B&W. Embarrassed

Is there anyone out there that can help me work out how to do that? Perhaps someone has done a tutorial on it.

Cheers Joy

31 Jan 2010     

1    2    Next >