Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > ideas for 20 minute mixed levels activity?    

ideas for 20 minute mixed levels activity?

MarionG
Netherlands

ideas for 20 minute mixed levels activity?

Hi all you wonderful people on this site,
I am looking for an activity to fill 20 minutes with a group of 28 fifth graders (11 yrs). The problem is that they come from different groups and the levels vary greatly (some don´t know the alphabet and some are native speakers). I suppose a game that doesn´t involve writing would be good, or maybe a short video?
Any ideas?

10 May 2010      

dennismychina
China

Have you thought about using handcuffs?

Play a jeopardy game downloadable from da da da da…….. ESL printables.

With only 20 minutes some sort of team game sounds about right.

Write up a whole lot of words arbitrary and related to a topic (food). Divide the class in two (or more) teams designate a different colour to each team. You describe a word and the ss must find and underline the word you mean. eg. Tomato. Description; it grows on a bush it is used frequently in salads it can be eaten raw or cooked it is red in colour. The first ss to underline it gets a point for his/her team. Two new ss come up. If you allow the teams to shout out the answers to their teammates at the board, it becomes very noisy but the kids really enjoy it, probably because of the break from normal classroom discipline.

Enjoy.

10 May 2010     

dennismychina
China

10 May 2010     

deboracg
Brazil

Please, what is this chart about?

I found it really interesting but I don´t know how to use it! : - )

Tks a lot!

Debora.

10 May 2010     

dennismychina
China

I’m sorry I thought I had deleted it.

It is an easy, quick, fun game to use as a fill in. Draw a grid as above on a piece of paper and fill in the squares with questions and a few fun activities. Then draw a large blank grid on the board. Divide the class into two teams. Alternative team members choose a square if they choose a square with a question in it and they answer correctly they gain however many points you allocate. If they choose a fun square, they either loose or gain points, (a smiley = +5, a grumpy = - 5, a bomb = - 10. or they play basketball, (try to throw a ball/rolled up piece of paper into the waste paper basket which the teacher places or holds up), or play rock, paper, scissors with the teacher, if the ss wins they gain points.

Enjoy.  

10 May 2010