Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > MACBETH    

MACBETH

broncesambar
Argentina

MACBETH

Hello nice people! Do you have any idea of any site where I can find material about Shakespeare �s play MACBETH that is suiabe for kids aged 11 years old? They are going to work on some activities and Im planning to help them out with some sites. Thanks a lot in advance!
Have a nice day.

22 Jun 2010      

viccxx
Greece

Look at the next post. There is a McMillan reader which has a very good adaptation. It is very affordable. Check their web site there might even be a free ebook download, though they change every month.

22 Jun 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

And for that age you might want to use Tales from Shakespeare by Charles and Mary Lamb also - http://www.ibiblio.org/eldritch/cml/tfs.html - they retell the fabula and it helps the sts get interested, master the key vocabulary and then tackle Shakespeare.

22 Jun 2010     

libertybelle
United States

To be honest - I don �t think Shakespeare �s works are age appropriate for 11 years old kids.
We didn �t read his works until we were 17 in the USA.

The psychology of his works is far above the maturity level of 11 year olds.
Why not find something age appropriate like Anne of Green Gables - Charlotte �s web - Nancy Drew and other works written for that age group.

that �s just my opinion.
L

22 Jun 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

Or Inkheart?

22 Jun 2010     

viccxx
Greece

Well, it is a little gruesome as far as plot goes, but the language in these readers is easily handled. Perhaps if you are bend on using Shakespear you could start with one of his comedies, like Midsummer night �s dream.

22 Jun 2010     

atsanti85
Canada

http://www.cps.ednet.ns.ca/Shakespeare/ideasfor.htm

http://books.google.ca/books?id=C20JtxCw-6MC&lpg=PP1&ots=LVa6QWswAr&dq=teach%20macbeth%20to%20kids&pg=PA6#v=onepage&q&f=false

Hope these sites give you some ideas.

:)

22 Jun 2010     

libertybelle
United States

A midsummer night �s dream has a complicated plot.
His works are written for an adult audience not for children.

22 Jun 2010     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

Agreed, Libertybelle, although Shakespeare �s Animated Tales (Youtube) are great for giving an overview of the drama and the cartoons are sub-titled.  Nevertheless, some of the language will certainly be beyond the age group specified, as will the poetic devices. 

22 Jun 2010     

libertybelle
United States

Not only will much of the psychologica plot be lost on such young children, but it might frighten them off from exploring Shakespeare when they are older.
There are so many great stories for children, I �m a firm believer in using age appropriate materials.  There is no reason for children to grow up too fast!

22 Jun 2010     

L. habach
Morocco

I agree with libertybelle. Just try to imagine the kids � response to Lady Macbeth �s soliloquy where she admits that if she �had � a child, she would smash it �s head while the kid is smiling at her!!!

23 Jun 2010     

1    2    Next >