Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > My bread is green    

My bread is green

cauffeepot
Benin

My bread is green

It �s probably not good to eat. Anyway, I �m doing short o with my students on Monday (tall o isn �t available that day) and as I was writing the words out, lo and behold, I found out �was � is a short o word. Why isn �t it short a?

23 Oct 2010      

Lina Ladybird
Germany

It�s probably green with envy, because you ate some rolls this morning... LOL

The letter �a� in the word "was" is pronounced more like an �o� than like an �a�, don�t you think? ;))

23 Oct 2010     

cauffeepot
Benin

was-the a is an ah sound, at least to me. so I consulted with a colleague and we conducted a fruitless search to find the answer.  If I go tell my kids on Monday that the a in �was � is an o sound, they �ll be totally confused.

23 Oct 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Well, don�t tell them then!!

Actually, I for one think that the �a� in "was" doesn�t sound like the �a� in "date" or "umbrella" at all, for example. IMHO this might/must be the reason why you�ve found that word in the short �o� category... Wink

23 Oct 2010     

cauffeepot
Benin

It sounds like an �ah � to me. And it �s too late, I already wrote the word list out.

23 Oct 2010     

Apodo
Australia

WAS is pronounced WOZ

23 Oct 2010     

cauffeepot
Benin

WELL, WAS should be pronounced w-ah-z. Then I wouldn �t be having this issue. The English police need to fix this.

23 Oct 2010     

yanogator
United States

Here in the US, "was" is pronounced "wuz" - rhymes with "fuzz"

Bruce

23 Oct 2010     

Jayho
Australia

That�s funny Bruce, it reminds me of the rhyme Fuzzy wuzzy was a bear, except if you say "was" like "WUZ" then how would you say fuzzy wuzzy?

As Apodo wrote, downunder we say it with a  short o sound, WOZ, the same as the Brits.

You can hear the difference between SBE and SAE here: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/was.  It�s quite a difference.

Cheers

Jayho

23 Oct 2010     

little rat
France

It �s /woz/ when accentuated and it �s pronounced with a schwa when unaccented

23 Oct 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Typical smarty-pants student �s snowclone: if X is spelled like Y, then why isn �t it pronounced like Y?

Yeah, ho ho.

23 Oct 2010     

1    2    Next >