Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Can "believes" be the plural form of belief?    

Can "believes" be the plural form of belief?

Zsuzsapszi
Hungary

Can "believes" be the plural form of belief?

Hi again,

This time I need your kind help again. Hope you have some time to answer my question.
As I learnt all nouns ending with -f or -fe get -ves endings in plural.
But I came across this example belief - beliefs.
I can �t understand why it is right. And can believes be the plural form as well?

Hope you can give me a good explanation to my question.
Thanks in advance.

Hugs,
Susan

18 Jan 2011      

viccxx
Greece

Dear Susan,
the plural of belief is beliefs. The rule is correct, but it has some exceptions, like roof-roofs, chief-chiefs, and belief -beliefs....

18 Jan 2011     

erikaandel
Brazil

Hello, I believe some words just don �t follow the rules, they �re just exceptions.Embarrassed

The plural of the noun belief is beliefs.

Some nouns that end in �f � are exceptions to the rule that states that �f � needs to be changed 

to a �ve � and add �s � (e.g. chief - chiefs). 

The word believes is used as a verb, e.g. "He has many beliefs in which he believes."

More examples: cliff      cliffs  ,  roof     roofs   

I hope it helps Wink Erika

18 Jan 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Susan,

"As I learnt all nouns ending with -f or -fe get -ves endings in plural".

Susan, THEY DO NOT!

Quirk (and 5 other Professors), 2010, "A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language" list the Rules.

Nouns which take a Plural ending in �ves �, calf: calves; elf: elves; half: halves; knife: knives; leaf: leaves; life: lives; loaf: loaves; self: selves; sheaf: sheaves; shelf: shelves; thief: thieves; wife: wives; wolf: wolves.

Nouns which take 2 possible Plurals, ending in �s � and �ves �, dwarf: dwarfs/dwarves; hoof: hoofs/hooves; scarf: scarfs/scarves; wharf: wharfs/wharves.

Other nouns ending in f(e), take regular plural �s �, belief: beliefs; chief: chiefs; cliff: cliffs; proof: proofs; roof: roofs; safe: safes.

The answer from VICCXX is perfectly correct!

I hope that this helps you.

LES

18 Jan 2011     

pilarmham
Spain

Les, your explanations are definitely the most thorough, rigorous and credible of all. You �re one in 1,000 million!

19 Jan 2011     

PhilipR
Thailand

English is indeed a language that has plenty of exceptions. Think about this:

leaf -> leaves, BUT the Toronto Maple Leafs (a hockey team)
life -> lives, BUT a lowlife -> lowlifes

19 Jan 2011     

cheezels
New Zealand

Do you know in NZ we say rooves  not roofs? I didn �t know we were different until I moved to Europe!

19 Jan 2011     

magneto
Greece

Yep, it �s beliefs.

@Les: Your answers are always the best!
Needless to say, I try to keep an archive of them...You never know when they might come in handy: Students never seize to ask and we never seize to wonderSmile

@Philip and Cheezels: Interesting info! Thanks for sharing!

19 Jan 2011