Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WOD - Word of the Day -I wanted to send this message again for the teachers who are busy in the daytime     

WOD - Word of the Day -I wanted to send this message again for the teachers who are busy in the daytime

samsunmustafa
Turkey

WOD - Word of the Day -I wanted to send this message again for the teachers who are busy in the daytime

Thank you Idmagicman for choosing as the winner.
Now here comes the word of today (sorry but a bit belated)

xenodocheionology

Please try to guess this word in a witty and funny way.
Try to connote an extraordinary meaning to this word.

Waiting for your answers impatiently . Good luck in finding sth interesting. 

Again :   Please no dictionary meaning .It s already available on the net .

11 Jun 2011      

Mariethe House
France

Xeno: foreign
doche : twelve in Italian(???)
ionology: the study of wine

must be the study of the wines, the 12 apostles drank in the foreign land of Galilee

11 Jun 2011     

queenpadme
Turkey

I know this definition sounds so ridiculous Embarrassed but this the aim of WOD.

If xeno=foreign= a new science field that researches foreign doctors at hospitals:)

By the way, thank you Mariethe for inspiration.

11 Jun 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Samsunmustafa,

Xenodocheionology

This word is so obvious that I am surprised that no-one has correctly described it yet.  Metaphorically, it shouted: �Greek!� at me as soon as I saw it.

(I�m so pleased that it didn�t shout: �Greek!� at me, literally, because I hate getting complaints from the neighbours about the noise).

I am a great fan of the world-famous Norwegian Language-Teacher, Ima Linquist.  He was born in Prussia, but the passport printer had to pop out for a P and didn�t return.  Consequently, Ima Linquist�s passport shows that he is from Russia.

Se�or Linquist, as he prefers to be called, has achieved great success with his series of Language-Teachings Books: �Malay --- in a Day!�; �Greek --- in a Week!�; and �The Language of Tangiers --- in about 20 Years!�

He types the manuscripts for all his books in a cottage in the quiet countryside � no telephone, no door-bell, no alarm-bell!  Outside, is a Big Notice: �Quiet!�

Last year, he was awarded the Nobell Peace Prize for Literature.

I have not forgotten a single word of his classic Memory Book: �The 3 Golden Rules of Remembering�.

1)     Begin the way you intend to continue.

2)     Begin, and continue the way you begin.

3)     Begin, and then continue continuing until you reach the end.

4)     Begin, and then continue continuing until you reach the end, and then stop.

This book sells extremely well in Africa and India.  This proves conclusively that memory systems are invaluable, especially for those that have the memory of an elephant.

I studied: �Greek in a Week�, for 10 days, so I think that I can claim to be a bit of an expert, when it comes to puzzles like, �The Word of the Day�.

XENODOCHEIONOLOGY

X = �X marks the spot� | �Eno� = Greek, ένα, �One�, which looks remarkably like the girl�s name �Eva� | �Doch� = German, �Of course!�, and also the Scottish word for �Dock� | �Ei� = Dutch, �Egg� | �O� = �Oh!� | �Nology�, Norse = �Knowledge -y�, �Very knowledgeable�.

This is obviously a coded message between criminals.

Someone called Eva, of course, knows a great deal about the precise location in one Scottish dock, where a very special egg, which will take away your breath, is hidden.

I suggest that the Scottish police visit Edinburgh Crown Court, Number 1 Dock, where they will find the long-lost Faberg� Egg, Яйца Фаберже.  It was hidden there by the infamous smash-and-grab jewel thief, Eva Brick, during her trial.

�L-M-N-tree, my Dear Watson!�

Les

12 Jun 2011     

Apodo
Australia

Ha Ha Ha ! I nearly choked on my sandwich.
Alimentary, my dear Les! Very punny indeed.

LOL Of course your answer is way off track. The true etymology of XENODOCHEIONOLOGY is this:

XE - the element xeon
NOD - to drop off to sleep
OCHE - Italian for geese
ION - electrically charged atoms
OLOGY - study of

The study of the electrically charged atoms found in Italian geese who have fallen asleep after exposure to xenon.

12 Jun 2011     

wysiwyg
France

Clap These definitions are so excellent that I wouldn �t dare post one...!! 

12 Jun 2011