Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > POD on this 31 August    

POD on this 31 August

maryse pey�
France

POD on this 31 August

What a delicious surprise ! Thanks so much dear Marion !

There is an expression I adore : TO HAVE BATS IN THE BELFRY...

Dear members of our favorite English Sincere Laughing Club make us burst into laughter more than once please ! with your marvellous and completely invented formulas ! of course !

Let �s go !

31 Aug 2011      

juliag
Japan

Hello dear Maryse, hope you �re well.

Well, with the belfry being at the top of a building I infer that here it is a reference to the head of a person. And if they have bats in their head they are obviously batty... in other words just a little bit crazy and dappy like me.

So when we want to tell someone that their idea is crazy or that they must be insane to think something like that we can say: You must have bats in your belfry.

For example:

A: I think I �ll read the English dictionary from a to z tonight for fun.
B: You what! You must have bats in your belfry for sure.

31 Aug 2011     

maryse pey�
France

Come on Ladies and Gentlemen ! Give me your splendid stories about this expression.
Do like dear Julia ! All of us are waitng for your imagination !

31 Aug 2011     

valentinaper
Greece

Can you imagine the disturbing hissing that a bat would make, if it were fried?
Now, imagine this frying going on inside somebody �s stomach... that �s the feeling of sickness described with this phrase:
 "I �m very anxious about the test results...I think I have bats in my belly- frying!"

31 Aug 2011     

maryse pey�
France

no other candidate who would like to adopt my bats or climb up to the belfry ????

Are you sure ????

31 Aug 2011